CHAPTER X

Hecate's POV

We walked outside in silence, since my voice had apparently stopped working after what Maximilian said. I was too deep in thought to do anything but follow his broad figure through the house and into the woods.

Yes, I am scared. Yes, it's a very stupid idea to follow one of my captors deep into the woods. However, being who I am, my curiosity is much bigger than my fear. That's the only reason I'm following him into the woods right now. I'm only here because I need to know.

Finally, we reach a small clearing. He stops, turns around, and stares at me intently.

"C'mon then, show me. If everything you say is true, and you really are a Vampire, then prove it." I challenge him.

He must not like being provoked, because suddenly I feel him standing behind me. His arms snake around my waist and he bends over me to place a kiss on my neck, which I ignore. With difficulty.

"Okay, super speed. Predictable. Got anything else?" I whisper, my breathing heavier because of his proximity. Obviously he hears me, thanks to his Vampire hearing.

He huffs in disdain and disappears from sight. I look around and see him standing next to a huge rock.

'No way he can pick that up.' I think. 'It must be buried for metres underground.'

And yet he surprises me by eradicating the huge stone as if he were lifting a feather. What can't this man do?

"Super strength, very Vampiristic-y. I think there was something like that in a movie called Dawn, or Twilight or something. Still not impressed." I say, although my mind is swarmed by amazement. I want to see all he can do, and provoking him is the only way.

"Really? You're comparing me to those shiny teenager want-to-be?" He mutters and shakes his head in annoyance, looking down at the ground, thinking. Then I catch a slight tense in his shoulders.

"Well, I could show you my worst side. My Demon." He whispers getting close to me. "But I'm warning you, it's not going to be pretty. My Demon is, well, evil."

I'm scared, so frightened of what I'm about to do. My gut is telling me to stop, that I shouldn't want to see all this. Yet my brain, being the annoying pile of shìt it is, incites me.

This is the only way you'll know. It tells me.

So I nod my head ever so slightly. Maximilian sees the movement, with his heightened sight.

"It's not going to be like in the movies and stories. That side of me is pure evil, so brace yourself. You won't like what's coming." He warns me, probably trying to dissuade me from going ahead with this.

Yet, my desire for knowledge is greater that my fear. So, once again, I nod.

I need to see him for what he is. I need to know, all of it.

"Okay then." He sighs deeply, as if preparing himself. "Stay back." He pushes me gently backwards and I take a couple of steps to distance myself from him.

At first he just looks at the ground, concentrating on something. Nothing changes; he just stands there, still as a stone.

Then his eyes lift, and I see they've turned red.

'That's not so bad, I can live with that.' But then, oh then it really begins.

I see his skin start to break apart, as if something was scratching into it with iron claws. The invisible claws tear apart the skin on his neck, arms, legs.

These talons cut deep, leaving Maximilian's skin purple in their wake. When they reach his hands, his nails grow longer and sharper, becoming themselves claws right in front of my eyes.