CHAPTER XVII

Hecate's POV

This was a really bad idea. I think I dive sideways at the last second, making a wolf go face first into a nearby tree.

'Yeah, it really wasn't one of our best.' Night chuckles and I laugh along with her.

The grey wolf is soon back on its feet, and this time its movements are slower. It's being cautious now, trying to find the best time to attack.

We stare at each other intently and it lunges for me again, trying to slam into my frame. I duck at the last second and the wolf goes flying behind me into the dirt.

I soon see three more wolves starting to circle me, and I faintly hear Maximilian in the background shouting at me. He's too far away, he can't save me now.

I have to find a way to protect myself. I have to prove him wrong and show him that I can be useful in a fight. I also don't want him to fight alone and potentially get killed.

A white wolf growls at me aggressively, and I just step towards it quickly, making it back up. They're frightened of me, they don't know who or what I am. They're weighing just how risky it would be to attack me.

'Maybe it's time we show them just how dangerous we are.' Night says, and I smile. I've never shifted willingly before, but my heart leads the way. I just think of my Totem, a beautiful black panther. I will myself to become her and let go completely, my body shifting in a bright flash of silver light.

I open my eyes again and look around. Now I'm just as tall as the wolves, who all took a step back, startled by my Shift. They all recover soon, growling at me and starting to circle me in unison. 

The grey wolf that slammed into the tree earlier is back on its feet, scanning me with anger in its eyes. I roar at it, mocking its weakness, and the wolf responds with a snarl. It bears his fangs, and so do I.

I lunge at the wolf first, aiming for its neck. It foresees my attack and moves sideways, trying to bite me above my gut.

I'm faster and bigger than it though, so I twist my head quickly and manage to circle its neck with my fangs. I bite down hard, and feel the metallic taste of blood fill my mouth. The taste exhilarates me, and I bite down harder until I feel the wolf's body go limp. Then I throw his carcass on the floor and move to the next opponent.

A smaller brown wolf runs towards me, managing to jump on me. Its claws dig into my back but I shrug the wolf off of me, making it fall on his back. I rip its throat out with my claws, and I watch as the blood drips from my white claws.

An animalistic and savage side of me is taking control, and the sight of all that blood sends it into frenzy. All it wants is to smell blood, to taste it, to spill it. I can feel myself giving into that violent desire, a deep well of pure, untainted bloodlust. 

I look around for other wolves, with a sudden lust and urge to kill more of them. I see Jean fighting barehanded against a huge black wolf. This time it's me who runs towards the enemy. I leap on the black wolf and sink my fangs into his side. The wolf whimpers and the savage part of my mind enjoys the sound. I quickly finish it by ripping its belly open, making its guts spill on the floor.

I then leap onto a grey wolf, slamming it into the ground, holding it down with my weight and biting its neck ferociously.

I was feasting on the euphoria of taking its life when I feel a sharp pain on my side, and see two wolves with their canines dripping with my own blood. I roar at them in anger, before lunging for the biggest one.