CHAPTER XV

Hecate's POV

"Rogues." Keith murmurs before falling to the floor unconscious. Maximilian quickly heads to his side and places his hands on Keith's wound. I see the familiar light and I know he's trying to heal Keith.

All the boys react differently: Pietro starts pacing around the room, a cross look on his face. Jean's eyes darken and I see the red streak in his hair somehow spread. Michael just sits down on a chair and looks faint.

I, on the other hand, have no idea what is going on. I grunt in frustration: I hate not knowing what goes on around me. And, lately, I've been more oblivious than ever. In the old world, my old world, I knew who I was, but most importantly what the dangers around me were and how to kill them. Now, I feel powerless and ignorant. I feel useless.

I hate feeling useless.

"What are rogues?" I ask no one in particular. I just need answers.

None of the boys pay me any attention, all too deep in their thoughts to speak. Then I see Kevin: he wants to answer but he's breathing so heavily that he can't speak.

I place my hand on his heart and order him "Tranquillia et inspira."(Calm down and breathe.)  A switch must have turned in my mind, because now I suddenly realise that I am speaking a different language. This time I notice the different words. Still, in my mind the words make as much sense as they would if they were in English.

I feel his heartbeat slow down to normal and his lungs pump regularly. He looks at me gratefully before answering my question swiftly: "Rouges are lone werewolves. I can't get into detail now but just know that they're not the good guys."

I nod my head, determined. "So what do we do?"

"Well, we are going to go out and fighting them. You are staying right here." Maximilian says from behind me.

I notice he's laid Keith on the sofa in the room next door and is currently wiping the blood off his hands. He's so calm about it that, for a second, I doubt he's a vampire. Then I look up in his eyes and see their dark shade of red, and I notice the slight fangs slipping from behind his lips.

I shiver at the sight of this side of him.

"I'm coming with you, like it or not." I say boldly. There is no chance in hell that I am going to sit back while these guys go out and fight.

"No way in hell." He takes a step towards me and places his hands on my shoulders. He start to push me back, trying to get me to go further into the house, but I fight back and wriggle free of his grasp.

"I'm coming with you." I repeat, more firmly this time. "There is no way that I am going to let you guys go out there without me! I am not going to let others fight for my life. I can fend for myself, I always have and always will."

"No, Cate. You have no training. You would be of no use in a fight like this. You'll only get yourself killed." Maximilian says coldly, his eyes boring into mine.

"I don't care." I reply. Suddenly, Maximilian's eyes flare. He walks up to me furiously and takes my arm, dragging me away.

I try to free myself from his grasp, but his hold is too tight. It's so tight I can feel my arm start to bruise lightly where is hand is. 

"Let me GO!" I try to fight back, but I know there is no way I'm going to break free from his hold.

He starts walking up the stairs, and it takes me a while to realise he's taking me to the bedroom.