CHAPTER XII

Hecate's POV

"It's nice to see you two getting along, but we still want to know what she is." I turn around and see the other men strutting in, all except Jean and Michael. It was Pietro who had spoken. I get the feeling he doesn't like me very much, but I've no idea why.

"Yeah, I was wandering the same about you guys." I retort.

Pietro sends me a glare but I smile at him and shake it off nonchalantly. This seems to annoy him even more.

"Since you guys kidnapped me I have the right to know."

I say, and Pietro takes a quick step towards me and hisses. Before he can say or do anything Maximilian intervenes. "She's right."

We all look at each other for a second. I'm staring at Pietro and he's staring back at me with hostility, both of us waiting for the other to speak.

"Well then, since everyone is so quiet I'll do the talking." Kevin intervenes.

"Right, um..." He seems embarrassed for a second, and shyly starts speaking. "I'm Kevin, and this is my brother Keith. But you know that...." He clears his throat. "Let's see... we're Hunters: that means we have heightened strength and senses, although not like Vampire ones. Apart from that we're pretty much human. All you have to know about us is that we're naturally talented for all weaponry, so watch out." He winks at me, and I try to put on a smile to hide how much at unease I am.

Born with the talent to handle weapons? I really want to stay away from them. 

"Our touchy little friend here is Pietro." Kevin points at Pietro, which huffs and rolls his eyes. Thankfully he stays quiet.

"He's a Hybrid. It's very complicated with Hybrids, 'cause you never know what they're Hybrids of. Pietro, for example, is half Siren half Shifter. He can't control people's mind, but he can sometime read into them. He can't turn into every animal like the Shifters but only his Totem animal. Get it?"

My head is spinning from all the names but I nod my head. It's odd, I shouldn't feel this natural about all these creatures actually existing, but I'm calm nonetheless.

"So what are Sirens and Shifters?" I ask.

"Sirens are usually evil creatures who use their mind powers to control humans. Since they feed on human flesh, their slaves don't last that long. As for Shifters, their name says most of it. They're mostly human, but have heightened senses and speed. They can shift into any animal they want, although most of them don't have enough power to so. Most of them prefer to shift into their Totem or Soul animal, which is the one that wears them out less."

"Yeah yeah, whatever. She knows enough now, but we still don't know anything about her." Pietro says, and Keith nods in agreement. "He's right. Now it's our turn to ask the questions."

I take in a deep breath and nod slowly. "Sure. What do you want to know?"

"Well, for one, how the hell you managed to put Jean to sleep like that." Keith looks at me intently, with his eyebrows raised. He's obviously waiting for an answer, but I don't have one to give him.

I can't exactly tell them the truth.  Oh, one of the voices in my head told me to say a word and I just did.

"Yeah, I'd like to know that too." Jean walks in the room, weary and holding onto Michael for support. He looks pale and more tired than he did earlier, and I wonder if it's because of what I did to him this morning.

Was it only this morning? I realise, and a yawn escapes my lips. Even if I passed out more times than I can count today, apparently my body still hasn't had enough sleep.