CHAPTER II

A deep growl escapes his lips, a growl so inhuman that I think I must have imagined it. He leans in and I know exactly what he's about to do. I try to get my limbs to move, but they stay still. I'm still staring into his eyes, and it's like if my body has completely lost capacity to perform any sort of action. As if, suddenly, there's just him.

I'm scared, I'm so scared as I watch his lips getting closer. I'm helpless, just like I was in front of them. Only that, this time, the bonds that are keeping me are invisible. I might be creating those bonds myself, I don't know. On some level, my body doesn't want to move.

But I don't like men. I hate men. I like girls. I like girls. I keep telling myself over and over again, but somehow the stranger manages to make me forget all of that just by looking into my eyes.

Contrasting emotions and thoughts swarm my mind, and I fail at trying to make sense of them all. The eyes I'm staring into are too beautiful for any rational thought to actually stick.

A loud sound reaches my ears and I realize it's the bell going off. The sudden noise snaps both the stranger and I out of our trances, and he winces, as if he's just woken up from a dream. He looks at me in a state of complete confusion and rapidly takes a step back.

As he does, all the warmth that had built up inside me dissipates. I find that I can breathe again and do so, inhaling deeply.

The mystery man bends down and picks the papers up, some of which he had stepped on in the... heat of the moment.

"I'm sorry, I... I don't know what came over me. Please accept my deepest apologies." He mutters under his breath, his gaze fixed on the floor. Then he walks away so swiftly that I lose sight of him in a couple of seconds.

What just happened? Who is that guy?

I have no idea what the hell just went down, but the stranger seemed just as confused as I am. But the way he cornered me to the wall, the way he whispered that word and his piercing gaze tell me that, whatever just happened, is more than I realize.

The second and final bell goes off, signalling the definite initial of the lessons. I curse to myself. I'm late for the first lesson of the year. Some things never change.

I reach class number 146 and sigh deeply before twisting the door handle and entering the room. The professor's voice immediately stops as he notices me and all the eyes in the classroom fix on me. I momentarily curse the stranger for making me arrive late to class. If I'd arrived early as planned I could have snuck in without all this attention. I hate all this attention.

My eyes dart through the room and I let out a muffled "Fùck." when they land on the dark eyed boy and his mates. Then I scan the room further and see that the only free seat is the one in front of him.

"Did you say something, Miss?" The professor squares me from top to bottom, and it's obvious that he heard what I said.

"No, nothing." I lie, with my chin up and a fake smile on my face. Professors are the only ones I play nice with. If it was any other year, I'd be cussing at them and telling them to take a trip to hell. But, since it's the last one, I have to try to be civil with them. Ugh.

"You must be the new student, am I right?"

"Yes, that's me." I roll my eyes, knowing what comes next.

"Class, welcome Miss Hecate Wesson. She will join us for the rest of the year. Everyone say hello." A few incoherent 'hello-s' and 'hi-s' spread throughout the room, but no one looks me in the eyes, as always.

"Very well then. Miss Wesson, please take a seat so that the class may begin."

I sluggishly walk to my seat, the one in front of the jerk. The professor begins talking again before I even sit down. As I do, however, I feel someone tap my shoulder. I roll my eyes and sigh loudly, ignoring the guy. At the fourth tap, however, I snap.