CHAPTER XIII

Hecate's POV

I wake up, stretching my body to feel some release from the pain. I feel like if knots have been tied all over me and I have to untie each and every one of them before I can move properly again.

I move my limbs, and notice that I can do so without feeling a lot of pain. Yet, I feel strange. I'm not sure what's wrong, though. I feel at ease in my body, even though I'm still slightly dizzy.

I open my eyes and that's when the shock comes. I panic for a second, my heart rate blowing through the roof.

I'm looking through someone else's eyes.

All the colours are much more vibrant: shapes are more defined, and every colour now stands out immensely. I look at the window and I'm blinded when the heavy daylight that reaches my eyes. I can feel as my pupils thin when the light hits my eyes, adjusting to the sudden change in brightness.

What is going on?

'Well, you've shifted.' A foreign female voice speaks in my mind. I don't recognise her as one of the voices I've heard before. Hers is louder, clearer, and she definitively sounds closer than the other voices in my mind.

'My name is Night, and I'm you Totem Animal. We've never officially met.' She introduces herself.

I've always know I was a little out of it, but now I'm definitively going crazy. 'Hecate, you've always been crazy.' She tells me, and I agree with her. Can't say I've ever been normal.

But if she's my Totem animal, it would mean that... I shake the thought off. I'm not a Shifter, that's for sure. I'm not, I'm not.

I feel a slight shock of pain run through me at the thought, as if my body was rejecting the idea. I try to stand up, and I actually manage to get on all fours—

What the fuck?!

I look down and sure as hell, there they are: my paws. I'm standing on four pitch black paws.

This can't be, it can't.

'I think you'll find that it can.' Night states, laughing at my incredulity.

I shake my head firmly. They have to be an illusion of some sort. Something my mind created as a result of all the traumas I've had to endure in my life.

'If they're not real, prove it. Go on, try them out.' Night instructs me, and I reluctantly do as he tells me.  I push my paw down on the floor, making my claws come out. I see four razor sharp claws reveal themselves from the paw.

'See? These paws are as real as I am. In fact, they're mine.' Night informs, and my heart starts beating faster. My head spins and I fear I would pass out if there wasn't my shock to keep me awake.

I hear a loud sound, and my eyes shoot up to the figure of a lion in front of me. How did I not realise I'm not alone?

'Self-involved much?' Night mocks me and I flip her off mentally.

'Aren't you a rude one! I'm already starting to like you.' She says and I laugh.

The lion roars, but I understand what it's saying. It's weird: it's as if he's speaking a foreign language that I suddenly understand.

"You okay?" He asks... While roaring.

'Yes, you can understand animals now. Now focus and answer.' Night seems impatient.