CHAPTER XX

Hi everyone,
It's a late update, but I did it. I hope you enjoy the chapter!
I made it longer than usual, so I hope that makes up for the tardiness.
As always, please vote, comment and follow!
Love you,
-S)

Hecate's POV

"Finally, a Mother ! I've only been waiting for one for five hundred years!" Jean exclaims, and Michael laughs along with him.

Keith nods happily and Kevin pulls me into a bear hug, squeezing me a little too tightly.

"Can't—breathe—" I stutter, a huge smile still painted across my face.

"Oh, sorry. I'm just happy." He lets me go and I see the puppy dog smile on his face, which just makes me smile wider.

"Me too." I reply. I look around and only then do I notice that Kimberly is standing at the far end of the room. Her gaze darts from place to place distractingly, and she seems embarrassed. I know she's feeling incredibly out of place, so I decide to help her feel more welcome.

"Let's not focus on me. We have a new member in the Family." I walk towards Kimberly and she blushes violently. I wrap my arm around her shoulder and guide her to the centre of the room.

"Everyone, this is Kimberly. She's Pietro's mate and she's one of us now." I say cheerfully.

The room falls silent: no one knows how to react. I see the boys' eyes dart across the room, avoiding mine and Kimberly's gazes.

The only one that is staring right at his mate is Pietro. His lips are curved upwards to form the slightest hint of a smile. I look up into his eyes, and the happiness in them makes my heart warm. I don't need my gift now to know that he is feeling an immense joy: it radiates from every single part of him.

I look to my side and see Kimberly's eyes, fixed onto those of his mate. They too reflect of the same golden glow, one that can't be identified in one single emotion. Happiness, adoration, joy, bliss; maybe even one of love.

Is that what it looks like when you're in love? I sigh slightly to myself.

Right then, I turn my head ever so slightly and catch Maximilian looking at me. For a second, I think I see the exact same light shining through him. I blush and look down to the floor, thinking that I must have imagined it. But, when I lift my gaze again to confirm it, his eyes have already shifted onto the boys in the room.

I look at them myself. I sense ripples of doubt still seething through them. I know what they're all thinking; on one hand, she's Pietro's mate, so they want to welcome her in the Family, but, on the other hand, she's a stranger.

Then, again, so am I. They only met me recently, and still they accepted me. I don't understand what the great issue is.

It's not because she's a stranger. Night tells me. It's because, up until a an hour ago, she was the enemy.

"A new sister is always welcome!" Michael exclaims, and I thank him silently for being the first one to put his doubts aside. He rushes towards Kimberly and pulls her into a hug.  She looks shocked at first, and stiffens in Michael's embrace. After a moment, a smile creeps up on her lips, and she wraps her arms around Michael as if he was a brother.

"I'm Michael, by the way." He tells her when he pulls away. "I'm Jean's mate."

Kimberly's gaze shifts onto Jean, and when she makes the connection her eyes go wide. She soon recovers with a wide smile and a look of pleasant surprise.

Everyone introduces themselves: some hug her, other just shake her hand or nod friendly. Kimberly responds nicely to everyone, thanking us all for our kindness and hospitality.