CHAPTER VIII

Hecate's POV

I wake up from my trance state and notice that they set me down in an armchair in the living room. My leg is propped up on a tiny sofa in front of me, with an icepack laid over it.

I notice a black bruise sprouting from just below my knee, and I follow it down my leg. I haven't even checked my leg yet, during the whole... commotion. I lift the icepack and I have to tear my eyes away from the sight not to throw up.

I suppress the nausea as I examine my injury a bit further. My foot is twisted at a very unnatural angle. My skin is torn open, and most of my bone is sticking out.

After deciding that it was definitively broken, I look around. I'm in a spacious living room, with paintings hanging on the walls and a tile fireplace in the corner. I hear voices mumbling in the room next door.

They're all there, talking quietly about what happened. I try to pry in their conversation and listen in, but their voices are too quiet and I have too little energy to heighten my senses more than this.

So far I've only managed to make out about five different voices: that would be Maximilian, Kevin, the guy I took down escaping and the two men from the woods.

I would have thought there were more of them, because this mansion is much too big for only six people. But, thankfully, this plays to my advantage. Those guys must be really confident if they left me alone, with free access to the house and no one to keep me here.

I try to stand up but a shot of pain seers up my leg, forcing me to sit back down. I cuss loudly and then sigh deeply in defeat. I'm not going anywhere with this ankle.

I decide to listen in a little more. From what I hear I make out a few things. I discover that Jean, the guy I put to sleep, is still unconscious. Apparently he isn't responding to anything and they say it's weird. He should be strong thanks to his 'abilities' but I took him out completely.

Good, I think to myself. At least I have one advantage on them. I'm the only one who can wake him up, I think.

Although the thought that I would actually be able to do something like that to someone scares me, I'm even more terrified of what they might do to me if I can't wake him up.

I mean, I have absolutely no idea how I made him sleep, it just sort of... Came to me. There was this little voice in my head telling me what to say and I just said it. Without thinking at all, almost as if it were instinct. I can't really explain it, since I have no idea how it works myself.

The voices suddenly stop and I hear footsteps and shuffling come from the kitchen. Oh, great, they're coming to interrogate to me.

What are they going to do? Torture me? Trick me into talking somehow? Bribe me? The wildest of scenarios come to mind but I push them away. Whatever they're going to do, I won't cave. I'm not the one that's going to give in. I've suffered through much worse.

The two guys from the woods come into view first, then Kevin along with- Keith.

"I should've known you were into this as well. There's no Pranxis agency, obviously. Just a cover up to get close." I deduce. Dàmn I feel so stupid. I knew the alias was fake; I should've looked into it.

"That's right, Cate. I'm sorry we played you, but it had to be done." Keith apologises, but I don't buy it.

"Plus, we weren't lying about you having talent: you're a great singer." A foolish smile takes over his face but he suddenly winces and places his hand on his ribs.

Wait, is he.... "Are you the one I took out earlier? The one I elbowed in the ribs?" Laughter bubbles up in my chest but I manage to keep it down.

"Just FYI, you broke two of my ribs lady. I don't know how you did it in the first place, but I'm going to find out. One way or another." He leans forwards so that his face is only an inch away from mine.