CHAPTER VII

WARNING: DISTURBING CONTENT IN THIS CHAPTER. IF UNDER 15, YOU ARE SUGGESTED TO SKIP SAID CONTENT. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Hecate's POV

I stare at the boy lying on the floor, wide eyed and in shock. I think I would have stood there for hours, trying to understand what just happened, if the noise hadn't dragged me back to reality by the ear.

I hear voices resonating throughout the mansion. They sound distant, but I don't trust the echoes of this dàmn place. My body reacts before my brain does and my feet shuffle quickly against the floor, bringing me to the door.

This time, I manage to get the darn thing open, and I breathe in sharply at the frosty cold breezing in.

I step outside, starting to run in the opposite direction from the house. I stop in my tracks when I feel my feet tingling with pain and twigs snapping under them.

I take a good look around and realise. Oh my God. No, this can't be... I'm right in the middle of the woods.

I turn around and see the huge mansion I managed to get out from and am left breathless.

The house is beautiful: there are brick walls with dark ivy wrapped around them, floor length windows cover most of the first two floors. The roof is made out of slightly darker bricks, as far as I can see, and all the doors are wooden.

I'm suddenly disappointed. Why do my captors have to live in such a lovely place? I mean, aren't they supposed to be low lives, wasting away in a suburban dump? The last ones were.

They were despicable beings, and they certainly didn't live in a mansion.

I switch back to running mode when I hear more shouting coming from the house. I can tell it's one voice and, by the sound of it, whoever it belongs to is furious.

I have no idea where I'm going but I just keep running on automatic, never stopping and never looking back.

Wooden sticks pierce like needles through the soft fabric of my clothes and my skin. The soles of my feet sting and I know for sure I'm bleeding from all the scratches I have on my legs and arms. You can't think of the pain right now, just keep running, my brain tells me.

I try to listen to her but I'm just so tired, I don't know if I can keep on going. All the energy boost that the fear and adrenaline gave me is gone, all of it worn out during the fight.

Although, I still don't know how I did it. It must've been luck or something. The guy was probably dehydrated and the little tussle with me finally worn him out. Yeah, must be.

I mean, he must have used a lot of energy to move that fast, or how else would he have done it?

Stay focused. You're escaping, remember? I shake my head. My subconscious is right. I can't think about that, I need to concentrate on what's happening now.

I can hear the shuffling of their feet on the forest floor not far behind me, maybe fifty feet. My heart starts beating faster, and a small whimper of defeat escapes my lips.

C'mon Cate, you need to keep running. The determined part of me won't let me give up.

She's right. I'm not going to fall captive to someone again. I won't let it happen.

The only idea that I may end up trapped with those guys all over again gets my feet to move, and quickly. I start running faster than I've ever done before, but deep down I know it'll be useless.

I'm alone, in the woods. I have no idea where I am or where I'm going and I have God knows who chasing me. It's not exactly a reassuring situation.