Chapter 81: A Glimpse of Deepest Darkness

Saku, his friends and Reima were having fun swimming about in the pool of the new recreation facility. Reima was swimming with Emiko, pulling her along as she kicked in the water floating with the ring. Aeron and Katsia were swimming laps, Aeron with graceful breast strokes and Katsia going surprisingly quickly with forward strokes.

Angel and Saku were instead just swimming more casually, though under the water, seeing the floor and walls wobble about in the crystal blue. As their lungs asked for air, they each rose up with bursts of breaths "Ahhh...and glorious air" said Angel before brushing the water off her hair

"Is there any point to that?" asked Saku "I mean you're only going to get your hair wet again"

"Oh...did I brush my hair again? It's...a habit of sorts, to the point I barely even realise I'm doing it"

"Must be a DNA thing, I mean cats where I'm from tend to wipe any moisture off their hair"

"Must be. So how are you holding you? You're not getting tired or anything are you?"

"Maybe a little achy...but no complaints"

Angel looked onto the rest of the group, just swimming about "you know...I wasn't actually expecting to be among this many people"

"I don't think many people would be expecting this Angel" said Saku "I mean...not everyone can afford the luxury, of comradeship to be brutally honest. Not due to the nature of this tournament"

"No...I suppose not. I guess we're one of the lucky ones" Saku gave a small smile

"Yeah...I guess so"

Angel lightly chuckled with Saku tilting his head "What's so funny?"

"It's nice to see you smile that's all" said Angel with her hands behind her "I've been trying to get you to grin for a while you know"

"That just means I'm not the easiest to please" he said sarcastically

"Sarcasm...that's a new one for you and do you have to be such a downer about it?" Angel though saw the more humorous side and laughed

"Right...not long now" Saku suddenly said

"How do you mean?"

"It's been a couple hours or so since the doors opened, so Ozway should be on schedule to open his mouth with his proclamation of the following events"

"I was wondering why the place was so quiet" Angel said with a snicker until almost on cue

"Greetings to all on this fine day" Ozway's voice echoed throughout the halls "And good morning to you as well"

"Why does the phrase...'speak of the devil and he shall appear'" Saku said commenting "Spring to mind" Angel though just shrugged her arms.

Everyone now stopped and listened to Ozway's voice "Now this is more of an announcement then anything, and I'm here to report that all participants must report to the indoor assembly room. Due to the whole warp-space thing, they're could be a few of you who received serious injury. While my computer systems say otherwise...it is possible it could've missed one. In ninety minutes please report to the Assembly room, and there I'll refer to the details of Stage 3. See you soon"

Reima, upon hearing the announcement, sighed "well that puts a damper on things. It looks like we won't be here forever"

"I doubt that we could" said Emiko "We'd all be wrinkly prunes by then"