Chapter 56

Kelsey’s Point of View:

My stomach plummeted to the ground in horror. This couldn’t be happening right now.

The moment Justin froze up beside me, I knew something was wrong but I never expected the reason behind that was because Luke was here.

Out of all days for him to come here, it had to be today.

“Kelsey, sweetheart, are you okay?” It was my mom but for some reason despite how close she was, she seemed so far away.

I gulped, watching as Luke smiled flirtatiously—or in my perspective—disgustingly at the host before she giggled, and laying a hand to his shoulder while gesturing with the other towards what I presumed was their seats.

Just as they turned to follow the host, an unfamiliar friend of Luke’s tapped his chest, pointing towards something and immediately Luke’s gaze began to turn in my direction.

Snapping my head to face my parents, I pinched Justin’s hand to grab his attention as well.

“Kelsey, are you alright?” A worried expression found its way to my mom’s face.

“Oh, uhm, yeah, I’m fine.” Shaking my head, I took a sip of my drink.

“You’re shaking honey.” Concern tinted her words and it wasn’t until I looked down that I noticed that I was.

“Kelsey…” My dad began now, his eyebrows creased. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

Justin’s eyes seared against the side of my face, his gaze so intense it could, if possible, burn holes through my flesh. I knew he wanted to say something but if he did, his cover would be blown and all hell would break loose.

Licking my lips, I cleared my throat. “I’m fine; I just thought I saw a bug or something…” I waved a hand dismissively, trying to change the subject off of me.

“A bug?” Dennis looked at me, finally speaking since we’ve arrived.