Chapter 4

My stomach twisted painfully.

“Well that’s comforting to hear. . .” I sarcastically replied with worried eyes as I glanced outside. A low ripple came from his throat, a chuckle escaping his lips.

“You have humor, I like that,” He turned his head to the right to blow out the smoke in direction towards the window once he had rolled it down before closing it back up again.

“Yeah well I’d like to live too so if you don’t mind telling me where I’m going because so far I’m not very reassured.” I mumbled, fumbling in my seat.

“Take it down a notch shawty, I ain’t gonna kill you.” He blew another smoke, this time not opening the window. The hazy substance circled around the car for a while before slowly disappearing. When he finished the smoke, he threw it in the little ashtray he had implanted in the car.

“How would I know? I’m in a car with a murderer,” I rolled my eyes, my arms crossing just about my chest.

“Are you going to throw that in my face every single time I open my mouth about something?” He growled lowly, his voice deep and his eyes dark.

Clearing my throat, I repeatedly shook my head. “ No,” I squeaked out. “Sorry. . .” I gulped deeply, the ball visible as it went down my throat. I could feel my palms begin to sweat.

“Good because I’m in no mood to hear you,” He turned his gaze towards the road once more, going back to his calm more unnerved self. “Or you’re annoying pleas about me.”

Either this kid is either A, mental. B, crazy or C, bipolar.

So far I’m leaning towards the bipolar side.

“Oh geez, thanks.” Sarcasm dripped with every word I spoke. “You‘re so pleasant to be around, let me tell you.” The awkward silence that fell between us never really helped the situation I was in as I stole glances his way, feeling my stomach form into knots.

“Do you really think I care?” He spit, venom in the words he spoke. His fingers coiled around the steering wheel, holding it tight. I knew that because his knuckles were shading into a vivid white from the hold he put onto it.

I didn’t answer. Instead, I sighed, looking forwards and not even bothering to open my mouth any more.

But, from the looks of it, it looks like Justin didn’t want me too.

“Are you going to answer me or just ignore me like an idiot?” He hissed. I felt my breath hitch and my hands clam.

What was his problem?

“What the fuck do you want me to say?” I spat, growing frustrated with this kid.

“I don’t know, anything!” He took a turn down another road. “Don’t just ignore me.”

“I thought you didn’t want me to talk anymore?” I arched a brow, looking at me incredulously.

“No.” He monotonously spoke. “I didn’t want you using what you saw against me. I never said anything about you not talking.”

“Whatever,” I mumbled. If he wanted me to talk that’s the best he was going to get.

To my advantage, he shut up, leaving his eyes on the road before him.

I found myself glancing at anything that kept my attention for the time being until soon everything started to get boring and my eyes found the side of his face.

I’m not going to lie, he was pretty good looking, smoking’ even. His jaw was on lock tight and it looked sexy. I began to count the freckles on his neck, getting up to four until he sighed in frustration, snapping his head towards me.

“What? Is there something on my face?”

I shook my head.

I just wanted to go home.

Either he was psychic or simply knew what I was thinking because what he said next caught me off guard. “Look, you saw too much. I can’t just let you go after what you just witnessed. I’d be an idiot to.” He licked his lips, his eyes glancing over at me though his head never moved.

As reassuring as that was I couldn’t help but still be a little nervous.

“I promise.” He added in quickly.

I simply nodded again.

What had I gotten myself into? I crashed the palm of my hand to my forehead which must have enlightened him that I wasn‘t all that positive about what was going on because he began talking once more. “I meant it when I said I’m not going to hurt you. I just have to figure a few things out, okay? You’ll be home in no time.”

Relief had finally washed over me as the words he spoke sunk in but it wasn’t good enough to keep me sane. Licking my chapped lips, I took a couple deep breaths, trying to rid of the nerves when another deep chuckle echoed through the car.

“Are you giving birth or something boo because you sound like you about to pop that shit out right now,” You can tell he found himself to be amusing which caused me to laugh. Really loud.

“You have a cute laugh,” He smirked with a nod as I felt my cheeks burn with warmth.

Yep. He’s definitely bipolar.

“Thanks? Though I think I sound like a hyena.” I shrugged.

Now he burst into laughter as he grabbed onto the steering wheel, careful not to steer it out of control--something we don’t need to add onto the list of shit he’s already got on his shoulders. “You’re funny,”

“I try,” I brushed my shoulders off which lead to more laughter between us. It was refreshing for a change.

“You are the first girl I’ve ever taken with me to have such a good sense of humor,” I tensed once I realized what he said.

“You’ve taken other girls?” I turned to him with wide eyes as he laughed for about the third time tonight. Wow, we must be burning calories.

“I’m joking!” He clutched to his stomach with his right hand, his other now hanging off the top of the wheel once more. “You should have seen your face right now, one word.” He looked over at me. “Priceless.”

“Ha ha, very funny,” I faked a smile as he cheesed my way, his smile to die for.

“You have a nice smile,” I blurted out, embarrassment washing over me once I realized what I just said.

“Thanks,” He smiled at me, purposely showing his teeth. “You got a cute smile yourself,” He grinned.

Shaking my head, I leaned back against the chair, knowing I wasn’t going home anytime soon as I leaned over to turn on the radio only to have him shut it off. “Hey!”

“I don’t like music.” He spoke in monotone.

“Who doesn’t like music?” I gazed at him with furrowed brows.

“Me, now pipe down and let me drive okay? I need to think.” He snapped before clearing his throat and calming himself down.

I took this opportunity to get the truth out of him. “Okay well while you’re at it, mind telling me where you’re taking me?”

“So fucking impatient,” He rasped with an unknown tone as he slid out another cigarette from his pack, lighting it up before layering it between his lips. “We’re going back to my place.” He mumbled, opening the window now while letting the smoke go through.

Oh dear lord, help me now.