Chapter 33

Kelsey's Point of View:

Out of all the things that have happened in my life, this has got to be the most awkward and trust me, I’ve had plenty of those moments.

I licked my lips, gulping down the ball in my throat that began to form. My palms began to sweat and I could have sworn my heart beat accelerated.

I felt a squeeze on my hand and I turned to see Justin staring down at me, he smiled softly before directing his eyes towards Carly.

I took a deep breath. Knowing I had Justin on my side made me feel a lot better. It was easier knowing I wasn’t in this alone. “Carly, hey…”

Her face contorted the utmost confusion, her eyebrows still furrowed together and her lips pursed. “Hi.”

I squeezed Justin’s hand even tighter, not knowing what to do. Should I tell her the truth or lie to her face?

I decided enough for enough. Lying had become a part of me now and I was growing tired of it. “Listen, it’s not what itlooks like--”

“I think it does.” She spat.

I sighed. “Carly…”

She held her hand up, stopping me from talking any further. “No, Kelsey.” She shook her head. “You lied to me.”

“No, I--”

“I asked you if you guys were talking and you told me you weren’t. You practically shoved your lie down my throat and demanded that I drop the subject. You made me feel like an idiot meanwhile I was right all along.”

I felt the sadness overwhelm me and the tears surface over my eyes. “I know I did and I’m sorry. It’s just… at first, it wasn’t my business to tell.”

“It wasn’t your business?” She scoffed. “What the hell does that mean?”

“It means that I didn’t even know what was going on between us at first! I was told not to say anything.”

“I’m your best friend!” She threw her arms in the air. “Does that mean anything to you?”

My jaw dropped. “Of course it does!” I shouted. “That means everything to me! I know you’re my best friend and I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to lie but I made a promise! How would you feel if you told me something and said not to say anything and I told…” I looked around trying to think of someone when my eyes fell on Justin. “Justin everything you told me?”

She kept quiet.

“Would you like that?”

She pressed her lips together in a thin line.

“Huh?” I countered.

She looked away, shaking her head. “No, I wouldn‘t.”

“Exactly.” I let out a breath I didn’t know I had been holding in.

“But that still doesn’t count for the fact that you lied to my face.”

“Carly, listen to me, I tell you everything and you know that! You are my best friend and trust me, if I was able to say anything at first, I would have. I swear to you, you would have been the first person I would have told.”

She sighed, biting her lip. “I don’t know what to believe anymore. How do I know you’re not lying to me now?”

I opened my mouth to say something when Justin beat me to it.

“She’s not.”

I stared up at Justin, shocked.

“What?” Carly turned her eyes from me to Justin, the both of us staring at him as if he had two heads.