Chapter 52

Justin’s Point of View:

“Is school really closed?” Kelsey stared over at me as she buckled herself in.

I had called her earlier this morning to let her know the news and that I’d be taking her somewhere.

“Yes, Kelsey.” I revved the car up, getting ready to take off down the street before anyone saw us. “You can even check the school website.”

“Hm,” Kelsey shuffled inside her bag. “I think I just might.” Pulling out her phone, I raised my eyebrows as I watched her unlock her phone and click the safari app. Typing in the schools website, the link opened up and in big bold letters stated the following: School closed, staff meeting. Enjoy your weekend.

I smirked, watching as Kelsey’s cheeks heated up immensely. Laughing humorlessly to kill the awkward silence, she licked her lips, slowly putting her phone away before looking at me.

“You were saying?” I grinned childishly, knowing I had proved her right.

“Oh hush up and drive.” Kelsey muttered, shooting me a smile to indicate she was joking.

I laughed, putting the car in reverse to back out before twisting it around and zooming down the street. “I can’t believe you actually checked the website.” I shook my head at her. “I love how much you trust me babe, really.” I sarcastically remarked.

“I do…” She paused, “just not about school.” Giggling, she looked out the window, tapping her fingers against the arm rest to her own beat.

I rolled my eyes, leaning over and popping the glove compartment open and taking out my pack of cigarettes, slipping the lighter out of the pocket of my jacket before lighting a stick up and layering it between my lips.

Coughing, Kelsey waved a hand in front of her. “Are you ever going to quit smoking?”

Taking a puff, I held it in before letting it out through my mouth and nose. “No.” I stated monotonously, winking at her.

“You could get lung cancer you know.” She pointed out a matter-of-factly, a look of disapproval on her face.