“There’s more of a chance that I’ll get shot then die of cancer, babe.” I took another drag of my cigarette before letting it out. Cracking the window open a little, I let the haze blow out.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed Kelsey’s body had stiffened and a mask of uncertainty painted her facial features.

I bit the inside of my cheek. “Babe…” I murmured softly. “I was just joking.” I sighed, grabbing her hand in mine while rubbing my thumb across her knuckles.

“It’s not funny though Justin.” She looked at me. “I mean, I know you’re just trying to ease the tension right now but you and I both know, that’s partially true and it scares me to know that.”

“Hey, hey, hey…” I shook my head, a look of pure sincerity on my face. “Don’t think like that.”

“Why not?” She snapped. “It’s true. I can’t just pretend that our lives are perfect.” She shook her head, a scowl placing upon her lips.

Bewilderment took over and I stared at her in confusion. “Where is all this coming from?”

Kelsey bit her lip, avoiding my intense eyes. Letting out a deep breath, she closed her eyes and shook her head. “I’m sorry…”

“Don’t be sorry. You have nothing to be sorry for.” Not in the mood to cause an accident, I pulled the car over to the closest curb. “I want you to talk to me.” Leaning over, I brushed the hair from her face back. “What’s bothering you?”

Kelsey latched her teeth onto her bottom lip. “Nothing…”

“Kelsey,” I hissed, aggravation getting the best of me. “Don’t pull that bullshit with me. I’m not your dad, I’m your boyfriend. Stop holding back from me and just let it all out. I know something’s bothering you…”

“It’s not that it’s bothering me… it’s just that,” Sighing again, I could tell it was hard for her to put into words. “I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“I won’t.”