“I know.” I whispered, licking my lips and gulping down the anticipation building up inside of me. “It started at the party, you know… the one I got caught coming back late from?”

“You said you were coming back from Carly’s after she needed comfort…” My mom pressed her lips together, staring at me with a blank expression.

I twisted my face up in a grimace. “I know… I lied.”

They nodded for me to continued, a look of discomfort in their eyes.

“I snuck out with Carly that night because, to be honest, I wanted to have some fun. I’m always stuck home or doing homework and I just… wanted to be different for a change. Feel like any other normal teenager.” I shrugged, looking down at my hands. “Anyways, Carly ran off to God knows where and I went around looking for her when I fell.”

I knew I was lying again but I couldn’t exactly tell them the full truth about what had happened with Justin. That would ruin everything.

“No one was really around to help and I was getting a huge throbbing pain in my ankle and at the time, I couldn’t move. I felt almost as if I were paralyzed. I asked for someone to help me when Justin came over and asked if I was alright. I told him what happened and he picked me up, bringing me over to one of the logs to sit on where he examined my foot. He told me I was alright and that I almost sprained my ankle but the worst I did was bruised it a bit.” I licked my lips. “Throughout the night, he stayed with me to make sure I didn’t fall again and we just.. Hung out for the rest of the party and then I got hungry so we got a bite to eat and then he offered me a ride home and that’s when eventually you guys found me coming in late.”

I looked into my parents eyes after I finished telling them the story, silently praying that they’d believe me.

After what felt like forever, they nodded their heads. “Well… that was… thoughtful of him.” My mom said, her lips pursed.

“I know what Carly said to you was most likely absurd and crazy and I can assure you, they are not true. Justin isn’t some bad criminal who goes around doing whatever it was she said he did or does. He helped me that night and from then on, we became friends. Nothing more, nothing less until recently and I was going to tell you guys eventually but Carly had to feed you lies instead.” I rolled my eyes.

“What do you mean ‘until recently’?” My father spoke for the first tiem since I sat down, his eyebrows raised.

“We’re sorta… together?”

“Over my dead body!”

“Paul…” My mother soothed. “Give her a moment to explain herself.”

I smiled softly, knowing that despite how controlling my mother can be, she was still the one who gave birth to me and always had my back. “I’m telling you guys the truth. Justin isn’t a criminal. He’s just misunderstood. He had his certain group and friends and people automatically think just because he doesn’t go around talking to the whole school and having--excuse my language--sexual intercourse with almost every girl that throws themselves at him, he automatically has some big secret and he’s this dangerous guy,” I rolled my eyes. “When in reality, he’s nothing but a human. A normal teenager like me and everyone else.”

“What I just don’t understand is why you lied to us…” Mom shook her head, a look of disappointment in her eyes. “The last thing I want is for my daughter to be hiding things from me. You used to tell me everything.”

I frowned. “That was until I grew up mom.”

“You’re still our little girl sweetie and you always will be. No matter how much older you get.” She reassured before tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.