Chapter 28

She was ready to leave?! In a flash he closed the distance between them. Scared she was just about to step back when he wound his arm around her waist and pulled her to him. A small gasp escape her lips and she craned her neck to meet his eyes which displayed anger and anguish at the same time.

"No." A simple two letter word which sealed her fate. She turned her gaze to the floor with her hands resting on his chest. He wouldn't let her go anywhere she knew by his determination. But she wasn't ready to live the way they were living. Threading his fingers in her hair he pulled her head back mercilessly so that we could meet his gaze. Both stood staring at each other before he spoke again.

"Don't even try." He spoke lowly almost with fury. A tear slipped from her eye and he let go of her hair. Stepping back he put some space between them and turned his back to her. He was about to leave when her soft fingers curled around his wrist forcing him to stop. Letting out a tired sigh she continued.

"I know I'd never be able to escape you James. I don't have any more strength to get you to talk. I won't bother you again. Please just don't hurt Peter. He's all I have." Giving her a last glance he marched away. She wrapped her arms around her body and moved to her room. Bending over the bed she covered Peter with the comforter. She stopped looking at his lachrymose face. He had cried himself to sleep.

"Oh baby!" Sitting next to his sleeping form she caressed his face trying to get it rid of the dried tears.

"I'm sorry..I'm so sorry!" She kept on whispering. Kissing him one last time she slipped beside him and pulled the little kid to her chest.

James sat on the bar stool his fingers holding the rim of the almost empty  glass of whiskey swirling it lightly. Patrick came and sat next to him. Filling a new glass he pushed it in James direction. James clenched his teeth taking a sip.

"I raised my hand on her again."

"If you're looking for sympathy from my side I'm sorry to inform you that wouldn't get any Sir." Patrick spoke looking ahead.

"When she ran into the woods I thought I'll lose her forever."

"Well you are losing her anyways. She gets rebellious with force. And with the way you treat her why shouldn't she!"

"Force is all I know!" James bellowed with anguish.

"And what good is it doing to her or as a matter of fact to you?" Patrick spoke calmly.

"Dammit!" James threw the glass to the floor.

"Sometimes alcohol doesn't take away the pain Master James. You see it doesn't talk back to you. That's the reason we have human beings who can comfort you with words. Maybe it's time for her to know the truth."

"It'll break her." Patrick got up adjusting his coat and walked past James. Stopping at the stairs he spoke solemnly.

"You've already broken her Sir."

An hour later he moved upstairs to sleep. Just when he was about to move to his room his feet carried him to her room. Opening the door slowly he found both of them cuddled up with each other which bought a smile to his face. He stood there watching them for a few seconds.

"F*ck it!" He swore and marched to the bed. Removing his slippers he slipped inside next to Peter. Lying on his side he looked at her sleeping face from over Peter. The bruise stood out. She looked helpless even in sleep. He had forgotten how many times he had been ruthless and mean towards her. While all she had done was give him chance after chance, begged him to talk to her and most importantly allow him to come near something which meant the world to her - Peter. He then looked at Peter. He had been crying and it almost killed him. What was he doing to these two people who were not at fault?!