Chapter 12

Unstable and zoned out she held the  lace trimmed nightie in her hand.

"Anytime now." Her mind comprehended with fear.

Almost when she was about to slip it over her head she heard the screeching of the tires which made her gasp. Trembling she barely slipped into the cloth and tried stepping forward only to stumble over her injured foot. Stabilizing herself she tied the cover up over her nightie with shaking hands.

She bit her lip hard to control her sobs. She wanted to run away to any other place, where she wouldn't have to face him and his rage. And those hands..with their steel like grip...the pain they gave..they won't show any mercy today!

She limped outside, sweating and having a hard time to even breathe. Sitting by Peter's side on the bed she gently rubbed the sleeping child's back hoping that he wouldn't get up. Closing her eyes tightly she tried to breathe properly and prayed hard.

The door to her room flew open making her gasp. She stood up immediately. There he stood with the anger radiating off every part of his body.

A petty attempt made by her to hide the child's sleeping form behind her and he lost it completely.

.............

Three consecutive days and she had been trying to convince James but he didn't agree to her. But she didn't give up. Just like every other day  the present morning, gathering all her strength she moved towards his room. She couldn't afford not meeting Peter now. The authorities had told her that he had been crying himself to sleep every night. She had to meet him and if necessary bring him with her for a few days!

Standing in front of his door for a almost five minutes she finally raised her hand to knock. Stopping midair she took in a long breath. He could flip out any moment. His anger scared her. What if he harmed Peter? He had clearly given her enough proof by shooting her father. It was only for her family that she had been keeping quiet. But today she had to talk and more importantly convince him.

Finally, fisting her hand she knocked on his door.

"Patrick?" That strong voice alone was enough to elevate the fear within her. Trying to calm herself down she rotated the door knob and slowly opened the door.

He saw her. He knew why she had come. Turning around he stood in front of the mirror and looping the tie around his neck started forming the knot.

"He's not doing well James..." She pleaded.

He didn't say anything.

"I..I'll not stay for long." She limped forward. He chose not to speak.

"Just for some time..please.." Hope evading her words. She let out a frustrated sigh.

"He..he's just a child. He needs me James. I won't go anywhere else. I'll come back to you. I promise." She looked at him through the mirror. He refused to speak busy with the tie.

He was about to tighten the knot when she stepped besides him controlling her tears. She extended her hand and took it from him. Her eyes fixed on the tie and his on her. Sliding up the knot in place she whispered with a broken heart..

"Please..." He held her wrist lightly. Avoiding eye contact with him she held the dresser with the other hand looking down.

"No." She closed her eyes in defeat letting the tears fall down. Stepping away from her he put on his blazer. Picking up his cell phone and file he left her standing there to weep in misery.