Chapter 17

*Before leaving for Paris*

His car peered through the icy mist which clung to the trees like second skin as he left his estate. The sky was cluttered with clouds and chilly fog spread everywhere.

"That minx!" He thought. The way Sarah let her body bend towards his while fixing his tie, the way she batted her eye lashes at him and lastly that angelic voice, he couldn't get her out of his mind. She must have thought that these tactics would work on him but he knew it was all a show. She wouldn't think twice before pushing a dagger right through his chest. His mind spoke clearly of her antics but his heart refused to believe all this.

"Another half an hour." He whispered. He would have all information about her. He had been restless the previous night hoping all that he thought of his wife was not true and it bewildered him. She was like a drug..addictive. No matter how much he tried to deny she had him wrapped around her little finger. The elegant Porsche moved stealthily eating up the distance between him and a place which would decide the future of the young couple.

The car came to a halt as the chauffeur parked it along the curbside. Tilting his head towards the side James spotted the lean yet stout figure of his informer. The brown packet in his hand, an evidence that his work had been done. Threading his hands through his black leather gloves James stepped out of his car. Wind picked up pace, dead leaves crunched below his feet and the trees rustled as he made way towards Mathew.

Mathew Green, his most reliable informer till date. The young boy in his early twenties was quick and sharp witted. Having a way with words and numerous contacts he could take out the most secret if all information. James paid him well but a miser by choice he chose to wear his worn out black coat and the lose pants.

James came an stood with him facing the tiny river. Balancing one of his foot on the crude log he took out his cigarette. Lighting it he puffed out a cloud of smoke as his long over coat flapped in the wind. Fumbling, Mathew presented him with the brown rumpled packed trying to smoothen out the wrinkles.

"It has all the information you asked for. There are three files by the names of Sarah Welch, Peter Welch and Matt Clarkson." James nodded taking the file.

"Can I tell you something Mr. Wayne?" James looked at him in the eye.

"Sarah Welch or Sarah Wayne if I may correct, when you asked me to gather information on her I was surprised. I thought it was her father, Mathis Welch, you wanted information on which I had already given you before which also mentioned about her in parts. But this time when I investigated, I realised it's better not to question your judgement." James didn't speak a word, instead his heart sped. What was in these files?!

"You'll get your money." James spoke solemnly as he butted the cigarette with his foot.

It was a matter of time, chaotic drops of rain fell on their face.

"Until next time Mr. Wayne." Mathew bid his farewell as he disappeared into the forrest.

He hurried to his car. In the next twenty minutes he was in his flight to Paris. Eager fingers ripped the packet apart. Finding her file he opened it in a haste and started reading. His breathing became uneven and his heart pounded in his chest. Skimming through the last few contents he threw his head back in utter exhaustion.

She was innocent.

He had been punishing her for something which she was never a part of. Blinded by revenge he didn't make enough efforts to find out more about her. The file bore other information on her which probably she had been unaware till date. The secrets were deeper than what he had known his entire life.