Chapter 18

Sarah woke up. Her eyes heavy from sleep and her head and foot throbbing with pain. Holding a hand to her head she braced herself up on the bed. Thinking about Peter she immediately tried getting out. She almost let out a cry of agony when her foot touched the cold wooden floor. Stopping for a moment she quaffed in some water and took in a long breath. Finally mustering the strength she limped with great difficulty to her room, unaware of the fact that the child had actually slept with her at night.

The moment she opened the door to her room her eyes widened. The bed was nearly made and Peter wasn't there. Panic stricken she staggered to the bathroom to find it empty. Her eyes filled up. A sinking feeling of hysteria gripped her and she tried taking in as much air as she could.

"Peter!" She shouted, but got no response in return. What had James done to him?! How could she go off to sleep at night?! That monster?!

Not paying heed to her dysfunctional foot she stumbled out of the room. Almost tripping over the stairs she screamed for Patrick.

"Patrick!" The maids came running out of the kitchen instead.

"Where's Patrick?"

"Ma'am he's not home. Fear caught up with her and filled her with helplessness.

"Where's Ja..James?!"

The maids shook their heads in return. They hadn't seen their master this morning.

"Dial Patrick's number for me. Now!" She shouted in between tears. Bewildered by the mistresses outburst one of the maid scurried away and quickly dialed the number. But instead his phone rang in the mansion at the kitchen counter. He had forgotten his phone. Unable to breathe she lurched outside. Limping she tottered the few stairs at the porch and fell down on all fours at the last stair. The maids ran after her and stood at a distance.

"Peter!" She wept. The men on duty turned their heads towards their masters wife, exchanging questioning looks with each other. Finally one of them moved towards her.

"Ma'am.." He spoke sympathetically. None knew where James had gone. She cried hysterically. Hands dug into the snow in front of her. Cold seeping through her bones she sat at the stair on the snow with her head resting against the wooden palisade. Nobody dared to touch her. They tried dialing James number but didn't get a response. Trembling she whimpered from cold and pain.

"I shouldn't have left him..I slept..I shouldn't have.." She spoke incoherently shaking her head in denial. One of the maids came out with a soft duvet and gently placed it over her shoulders. The entire staff looked at her with helplessness. Their boss would give each one of them a hard time if he found her in this state.

She sat their in the thick of the winter barely wearing anything unable to calm herself down. It was after an hour that they saw James drive through the entrance of the huge mansion.

The moment he got out of the car his eyes his men and then her. Their eyes lowered down and each one of them stood rigid at their respective spots not daring to look up. His eyes met hers and unstable she stood up letting the duvet fall down. In the freezing temperature wearing his t-shirt which barely covered her thighs she stood barefoot on the snow laden ground. He nose red, limbs taut and breathing harsh she let out a whimper. His eyes didn't leave hers. The white area around her foot turning red. Her foot was bleeding and God knows since when. He fisted his hands and his nostrils flared with anger.

Tilting his head he gave a side glance which was enough of a command for all his men to turn their back towards the scantily clad woman. Peter stood bewildered behind James for the past few minutes looking at Sarah.

'What had happened to her.?'

"Sarah!" He shouted.

"Peter!"

Her eyes widened and a broken smile appeared on her face. She took a step forward only to fall down on the ground, but not before engulfing the child in her embrace. Cupping his face in her hands she smothered kisses all over his face. Burying him to her chest she looked at the sky in a silent prayer. Tears few out freely.

"You are okay..you are okay.." She whispered with relief.

"I had gone out with James to the stable...to see the horses." He spoke guiltily as his tiny fingers wiped her tears away.

"I'm sorry." He sniffed.

"It's alright baby.." She smiled gently at him.

"Back to work." She heard James command everybody. Patrick had also arrived. Moving to her he held Peter's hand in his.

"I'll change him into something comfortable Sarah." She barely nodded as Patrick took him inside, knowing what was about to come.

Taking a step back her behind met the fence and she swallowed hard. Tremulous, she recalled last night's events and a chill ran down her spine. She looked up. Her heart sped at an unimaginable rate as she felt him close the distance between them. Anger radiated from his evil form, the coldness causing her to shiver and cringe back into the fence.

Author's Note :-

Keep a look out for the next one. Working on it : )

Comment!

xoxo Lily<3

March 2nd, 2016