Chapter 23

A white carpet of snow unfolded itself over entire London. Brutal winds forced snow flurries to lash against window panes. The dull and gloomy weather was a contrast to the excitement which bubbled inside her. It had been over twenty days now after James had made his decision. Peter was living with them now. Another ten days and he would start taking classes from a personal tutor. James knew that along with Sarah, Peter was at risk equally so he decided against sending him outside his mansion to a local school.

Every now and then her carefree laughter would fill up the hollowness of his mansion. Her eyes would sparkle and those plump lips would curl up into a sweet smile. A little crinkle would appear adjacent to her lips on either side and her cheek bones would get accenuated. She looked more beautiful. In those fleeting seconds joy would surge through his veins and the heavy burden of guilt residing in his heart would reduce to some extent.

At nights when he came back from work Peter had made it a point to come running to him in his arms giving him a reason to smile genuinely. He would lift the child up effortlessly, throw him in the air and catch him. They had started eating together at the dinner table where the child would narrate the entire days events in a single breath. But his entire focus remained on Sarah who ate  quietly smiling at Peter's important conversations of the snowman, the lego toys, the adventures of Bimbo the kitten and Topsy the dog - the main protagonists of the story which Sarah had narrated and finally how yummy cookies and marshmallows tasted. Where he shamelessly oogled her, he would catch her sneaking glances at him in a nervous manner. How he made it a point to reach for the same ladle she had her hand on just to touch her and feel her warmth after his long day at work and how immediately she would retreat her hand murmuring a 'sorry'. And how he didn't miss Patrick smiling at them three.

"Oh! So this is how it feels?!" He would think.

Family - he finally had one now.

..............

The black dress hugged her like second skin. The thin straps criss crossing her back gave prominence to her shoulder blades. The thigh high slit was exposing her long leg. After almost a decade she felt she was admiring her reflection in the mirror. It wasn't the diamond ear rings or the necklace or the delicate bracelet hanging from her wrist. Her skin was glowing. What was this? The same mansion, the same people, the same type of dress and the party that she was supposed to attend. Then what was it? What had changed? Like lightening it struck her. She was happy. James had given her that happiness.

Peter balanced his chin on his tiny hands as he lay flat on his stomach, on the bed. Awestruck he looked at his sister.

"You look so prettyyyy Sarah!" He said bewitched.

Coming out of her trance she laughed and walked to him. Sitting on the bed she ruffled his hair. Sitting up on his knees he hugged her.

"Will you be a good boy and not trouble Patrick?"

"Yes!" Peter nodded his head enthusiastically for he had a pact with Patrick to eat marshmallows and cookies which had been denied by Sarah.

"Will you sleep on time?"

"Yep!" He lied guiltily crossing his fingers behind his back. After tucking him into bed she headed outside. James stood at the base of the stairs looking handsome as always in his wrinkle free black suit.