Chapter 21

A perturbed heaviness colonized his heart. The fake barricade of arrogance around him crippling down. Futile and spurious, he realised the foundation of his life was nothing but power and strength, which seemed pyrrhic in comparison to her today. Could they take away her pain right now? Feeling utterly wretched hollowness settled into him.

He was helpless and clueless.

He opened and then closed his mouth. What could he possibly say to placate the soft creature in his arms? He didn't know what to do. He had no idea how to pacify her. This was new to him. He had never done this in his entire life. No words spoken between them, all he did was lay rigid holding her languid body close to his as she wept bitterly. After an hour eventually her sobs died to sniffles which were finally replaced by her steady breaths. He bent his head down to find her sleeping peacefully within the confines of his arms. But sleep evaded him. Though he didn't dare move fearing that she would wake up he remained restless. Finally, he disentangled his agitated self from her and got up. Taking a few steps away from the bed he strode towards the window and flopped down on the armchair.

How? How could he make such a big mistake? He was a great businessman - clever, shrewd and quick witted. How on earth did he not see that she was not involved in her father's dirt. How could he act this irrational and rash?

"F*ck!" He cursed under his breath running his hand over his head and face.

Legs apart, arms resting on his knees he bent forward and looked at her sleeping form. A simple act of kindness on his part, massaging her foot, and how easily she had melted in his arms. A little care on his part and how easily she trusted that he wouldn't hurt her now. That vulnerability in her eyes got stuck in his mind.

"Naive." He whispered.

He got up and poured himself a drink. His eyes didn't leave her. He took in her chiseled features, the silken hair, the plump lips and that milky skin. She had taken all that he had given to her. Despite his ruthlessness she had stood her ground numerous times. She was stronger than she knew. His heart held nothing but respect towards her at that moment. Restless yet again he abandoned the glass and strolled towards the bed. Slipping inside he settled down next to her. Tracing the contours of her face he let calmness settle in.

Need - raw and savage sufficed once again. He needed and desired her in his life.

..................

She sat in the armchair at the window. The scene in front of her left her amused. Peter sat on a sledge as James gave him a slight push from the top of the tiny hill. Spreading his arms, his hair swept back by the wind Peter screamed with joy enjoying his little ride.

"James!" He shouted with ecstasy.

She scooted up a little to caste a glance at at husband. He smiled broadly at the child.

"Come on Pete!"

Peter held the rope of the sledge in his tiny hands and pulled it back upto James. Running to him he sat on it again waiting for James to give him a push. But instead he shrieked as he felt snow trickle down his back. Quickly he got up and gathered snow in his hands throwing it at James. James pretended to be threatened by the little aminution in the child's hand and took the brunt of the force of the mere snowball. And their little snow fight continued with hooting and laughter filling the entire area.

James had realised that she has been sleeping a lot lately. She remained fatigued and looked tired most of the times. So in the morning he sent for a doctor to come and perform the remaining tests on her. As the doctor withdrew blood from her arm she knew what was about to come - she was in trouble. After the required medicines she needed, the doctor left. Patrick came in and served her tea and scones.