Chapter 20

Canopied by snow covered chestnut trees, his Porsche made way easily towards his mansion on the ice glazed road. Moving up the winding passage he absentmindedly gazed at the thick flakes of snow falling obliquely against the lamp lights. He had read all the three files. There was a reason he wasn't allowing her to meet the child. He didn't have full information. Just one more day he had thought and he would tell one of his men to escort her to Peter. But she planned her little rendezvous with the child before. She didn't realize that she had not only put herself but the child in danger as well. She could have got both of them killed. she was unaware of her father's intentions and he knew that the truth would break her down completely.

It was just her pictures he had seen before and he had vowed to destroy every single person associated with her father. When he saw her frail from that night behind the tree all his heart bore was nothing but hatred for Mathis Welch's entire family. Little did he know that the curvaceous cat eyed creature standing in front of him will change his life!

The plan was to hold Mathis hostage, marry Sarah, take over their business and then torture her to hurt her father. He did end up accomplishing the first three tasks but he couldn't lay a finger on her for the first six months. He just couldn't.

He had expected her to throw tantrums and act like a spoilt woman. But she was anything but that. She didn't ask for money or demand expensive diamonds. All she had done was stand up for herself on numerous occasions, something which he was proud of. He on the other hand had drowned himself in work and alcohol. He had refused to even see her except for the parties where she accompanied him. Heck he hadn't touched any women since he married her. She had him...she had him completely. It wasn't love, it was pure need. He needed her in his life. His heart pounded with a familiar emotion - a fierce need to protect her. She was his. He wouldn't let her go anywhere. Not now..not ever.

Holding his overcoat in one hand and the files in the other he entered his mansion. The scene in front warmed his heart up. Peter lay, eyes closed and in front of the fireplace, on the carpet. His head rested comfortably on the plush pillow and the Legos toys were scattered beside him. He smiled and then frowned. Loosening his tie he got rid of the blazer and the files and moved towards him. Squatting down he folded his sleeves midway. He ran his hand through the child's hair and picked up his Legos and put them on the futon.

"Where is she?" He whispered because he knew she wouldn't let the child sleep on the floor. His eyes landed on the one arm sofa chair. He couldn't take his eyes off her sleeping form. The fire caste a glow at the right places on her face. Quietly he strode towards her and stood besides her. The only sound heard was of the crackling fire and the flickering flames. Her clear skin untouched by makeup lured him to touch her. Unable to control himself he gently tucked her hair behind her ear which curtained her eye with his finger. He stopped. He felt her face and forhead properly with the back of his fingers to reassure himself. She was burning.

"Oh! They've sleep!" Patrick smiled descending the staircase.

"I'll take Peter up." He jestured.

James squatted in front of Sarah.

"Sarah?" He spoke gently taking her face in between his fingers and thumb. She didn't respond.

"Sarah!" His eyes travelled to her foot only to find the fur throw covered in blood.

"F*ck!" He cursed. Since when was she bleeding! Patrick looked at him. His eyes landed on her limp body and then the foot.

"Sarah! Open your eyes." He spoke to her only to get no response.

"Put Peter to bed Patrick and stay with him tonight. I'll have to take her to the hospital." Without wasting a second he wrapped her in the blood stained throw and scooped her up.