Chapter 16

The moment he stepped outside the room he heard her heart wrenching sobs again. Sobs which sliced through his heart. Those eyes didn't leave his mind. The innocence in them hit his very soul. Images of her barely breathing body beneath his begging for him to stop replayed without break. He had finally turned into the beast he had vowed never to become.

Savagely brutal.

Cruel.

Pearched up on the bar stool he poured himself a glass of whiskey. Brooding over today's events he failed to acknowledge Patrick's presence beside him. Quietly the butler sat on the bar stool next to him and finally James got a drink ready for him.

"Be gentle with her James." It was only during times like these when he would advice him like a father that Patrick would call him by his name and quit using the prefix 'Master'.

"Your men found her half way towards the mansion. If she wanted she could have run away. She had enough time. But she didn't. Instead she was coming back...to you."

James looked at him a little bewildered.

"Do you know what did she say after entering?"

"What?"

And Patrick narrated the whole incident to James recalling what Sarah had said.

Tired and exhausted she had stood in front of him. Here eyes giving away the fear. "I'm sorry but Peter needed me. James wouldn't be angry..would he? I kept both my promises Patrick. I didn't meet or talk to my father and I was coming back...to him. Just that I have Peter with me now." She had whispered the last part.

"I can't get her eyes out of my mind. No matter how much I try James I don't see any deceit. She wasn't scared for what you'll do to her. She was scared for the child. She didn't let any of your men touch him. Even with a barely functioning foot she carried him in her arms upstairs, fed him and put him to sleep. That boy is everything to her."

James tightened his fingers around the glass. Patrick clearly saw the guilt in his eyes and smiled. Behind this hard exterior he saw glimpses of the gentle boy which he once was.

"Maybe she's not at fault you know. Maybe she's not a part of anything.." Patrick spoke.

His breath caught in his throat yet he spoke.

"She's not."

Patrick looked at him and sighed.

"You've seen worse. I'm sure you'll find a way out."

He finished his glass of alcohol and James was about to pour him another one when he signaled for him to stop.

"Time for me to hit the bed."

"Growing old already Patrick?" James fake mocked him.

"Ah! Tell me about it Master James!" The butler chuckled.

"Don't deny your feelings for her child." The butler placed his hand on James' shoulder as he got up and finally left.

........

After another half and hour James decided to sleep. He was tired himself. He headed up to his room. Curious he wanted to have a glimpse of the child so he made way to Sarah's room. Quietly he opened the door only to find the bed empty. And then he heard a whimper.

Cloistered in a corner the child silently sobbed. James moved towards him and stopped midway. Face red and streaked with tears he looked at James and shrunk back into the wall.

"Sarah.." He mewled.

His tiny fingers moved and rubbed his cheeks wiping the tears away. Trying hard not to make any noise he finally hiccuped. Sniffing he let out a strangled cry.