Chapter 8

She sat in the garden staring at the blooming orchids. Wayne mansion was mysterious and huge. The interiors including the upholstery, the tapestry and flooring were chosen with great taste but it was the vast span of the lush green area it was surrounded with that she loved the most.

The garden was crude yet it was made keeping in mind the old and rich British culture. Be it the carved railings or even the beautifully crafted bench which she sat on, everything had a vintage feel to it. While the outside of the mansion was open, colorful and fresh the inside was unfathomable...just like the master of the house.

"James.." She whispered.

Six months since she was married to him. Six months and he hadn't touched her inappropriately even once. He hardly met her or even spoke with her except for when they had to make an appearance, together as Mr. and Mrs. Wayne, in public. The first night when he had bought her to his domain he had tried to force himself on her, but it was only for he wanted her to submit to him, which she did eventually.

It was as if she was in a prison. She was prohibited from leaving the mansion at any time without James by her side. Now after all this time she knew that her husband was anything but a rapist. All she knew was that there was something really big in his heart...a huge void which pained miserably now and again and forced him to drown in alcohol every night. But that didn't stop her from hating him or the life that she was being forced to live. And in return she saw the same hate for her in his eyes.

"Anything for Pete and papa." She spoke wiping away the stray tear.

Six months earlier

James' announcement left everybody bewildered including Eva. He wasn't the one to get married. He had his share of bed flames but nobody ever thought that he would settle down with one woman ever in life. Sarah fought hard to hold back her tears.

"Don't do this..please.." She spoke to him once they were alone. With the merger of the two companies he had become the most powerful of all businessmen in the state. He had everything now from a beautiful woman to money to power yet he was restless.

"The wedding is next month. You have ample amount of time to adjust to the facts. Unless..."

"No!" She almost cried.

"It's up to you then sweetheart." He said moving away from her.

Another wave of nausea hit her and she held the table in front of her for support. Hypoglycaemia was starting to settle in. Her eyes moved in front of her and she saw David leaving the party. Her feet automatically moved in his direction in haste.

"David!" She shouted once they were away from the crowd. He turned around and showed disgust towards her.

"It's not what you're thinking!" she exclaimed it to him.

"So it all came down to this Sarah? The money? All the time you spent with me...your declaration of love for me....that was all fake...right?!" He almost shouted.

"No! It's all very complicated." She spoke not knowing how to tell him all that had happened the past night.

"Believe me when I tell you that it's not what you think." She said holding his hand.

"I wish I had known you better!" He said jerking his hand away.

"David!" her heart broke with every word he spoke.

He started moving towards the staircase. She ran after him.

"I don't want to see your face again!"

"David please...please listen to me!" But he just kept running down the stairs with her behind him.

She was about to follow him outside when her body was yanked back to his hard chest.

"You! It's all because of you!" She screamed pushing him back.

It was then that he had roughly grabbed her shoulders making her look at him. Out of anger he had forced her to accompany him to his car and had driven straight to the church. He made up his mind to marry her immediately. Under the circumstances unwillingly she had said 'I do' to the man she had come to despise the most. And immediately thereafter she had given into darkness.

As if he knew he had taken out a candy from his pocket and placed it in her mouth. The spontaneous sugar from the sweet bought her back to senses. Carrying her in his arms back to the mansion he had ordered  Patrick to feed her properly and also look after her.

...............

Her eyes got fixated on the now flawless skin of her wrists which bore his brutal marks that eventful day. He had taken care of everything for her and her family. He paid for Peter's tuition and even set her father free but she wasn't allowed to meet him. There was definitely something which her father was hiding, she was sure of it. Because he hadn't contacted the police or even once tried to get in touch with her.

"Sarah..did you take your shot?" She was bought out of her thoughts by Pattrick.

"Yes." She merely whispered. Once he left she let out a humorless laugh.

She hadn't seen him for over two weeks now.

"You hate me, you are forced to take care of me and my brother who is none of your business, I have a father whom you hate more and above all I'm diabetic. I can't survive without those needles. Even with the needles it gets tough to lead a normal life at times! Why did you marry me James!" She spoke to no one in particular. At the back of her mind she always thought she was not fit for him in any sense.

What was she supposed to tell him after six months of staying with him? The fact that marriage was something very important to her and that she took it seriously or the fact that even after all that he had done there were parts of her, parts which she hated, which were ready to give him a chance.

She felt tears burns her eyes. Closing them she let out a long sigh. When she opened her eyes.

Her husband was standing in front of her.

September 23,2015

Shay Mitchell as Sarah Welch/Wayne