Chapter 27

Almost eager he slipped beneath the covers beside her. He wanted to be with her. He knew he was completely wrong in treating her the way he did.

"I'm scared of you James.." He words kept on repeating in his mind. There was no second thought that he had wanted to scare her when he had bought her to his mansion initially just so that she submitted to him. But gradually as he spent days with her he started hated seeing fear in her eyes. Specially when it was because of him. But his entire life was spent alone where a major part of him remained angry and restless. He also knew that him being lonely, angst and pent up didn't justify his actions. But it was impossible for him to be gentle with this delicate creature which resulted in him hurting her uncountable times. This is who he was, is and maybe will always be.

She on the other hand felt disgusted with herself for being weak. She was giving into abuse. Him being with her in bed right now meant she had given him the liscence to abuse her. But she knew one thing - her husband was hurting and that too really badly. She didn't know how else to help him so she asked him to stay. Even though he treated her wrong she couldn't bring herself to let him go tonight. It scared her for like Peter she was getting attached to this ruthless man.

Helpless and worn out she turned around and faced Peter. Gently running her fingers through his hair she kissed his cheek lovingly. Strong arms wrapped themselves around her. One at her stomach and the other serving her a pillow. She felt the coarseness of her husband's stubble on her neck. She closed her eyes and a tear escaped. Moving across her nose it slithered diagonally to the other cheek and finally onto his arm. He squeezed his eyes shut in anger which was directed at himself. He felt the slight tremble of her body as she tried to control her sobs. How many times was she supposed to cry because of him? Tightening his grip around her he pulled her to his warmth and interwined his fingers with her while she wept silently. It was after some time that he felt her go limp in his arms. She had given into sleep. Thankful he finally closed his heavy eyelids.

An hour later she got up with a painful foot. The wound was burning and she felt like screaming. Caged within the confines of his arm it took her considerable time to disentangle herself from him without waking him up. Once out of the bed she limped to the bathroom and picked up all that was needed for the dressing along with a painkiller. The journey to the hall was in vain. Finally she settled down on the one armed sofa with chaise. Tilting the sole to her vision she examined the almost open cut outlined with red borders. She was frustrated with the lack of progress of her wound healing. Wetting the gauge with medical spirit she dabbed it onto her wound. Angry at the wound she pressed it harder again and again wanting it to disappear. At last she hissed with pain and threw the shriveled gauge piece onto the floor with anger and vexation. Throwing her face in her hands she wept bitterly.

"It's all my fault! I'm responsible for all this. Me being here..my foot and him! I didn't fight back hard enough! I kept on sitting like a puppet expecting him to change! Why the hell did I bring Peter here..I should have run off way back!" She thought with exasperation.

Sturdy fingers grasped her ankle. Her head snapped to her husband's direction. He sat down near her feet and placed the wounded foot on his bolstered lap. Taking a new piece of gauge he cleaned it gently with the spirit and then carefully applied the ointment to it. Giving it a thick yet comfortable padding of cotton he bandaged it well while she cried in pain. Getting up he bought her a glass of water, took out a pain killer and gave it to her. With trembling hands she took it and gulped it down. How many pain killers was she supposed to take? He was about to hold her foot to examine it one last time when she realised what she had done.

'She had given in to him - meekly - again.'

She snatched her foot away. As a reflex action she stood up immediately but failed miserably. Before she could hit the ground he held her in time.