Chapter 26

It was almost eleven at night and she stood looking into the dark from the huge window. Peter and Patrick were asleep and she was in her husband's room. A week had passed by and she had been sleeping next to him on his bed. Like a puppet she had obeyed him. The helplessness gave way to anger and finally violation. Like some toy she was ready at his beck and call. He didn't care about her feelings or Peter's either. He had promised the child to come early but he didn't show up today. Cold, ruthless and heartless - James was a monster.

She was doing just fine and then suddenly it all hit her. She felt suffocated. What would she do? Whatever happened to the plan of getting out of his mansion, contacting the police and freeing herself from James? Why did she foolishly bring Peter here? What will she do now? How will she get out of this prison?

The pounding in her heart increased. Beads of sweat rolled down her forhead and neck.

"What will you do Sarah?!" An invisible voice screamed back at her.

Bringing a trembling hand to her neck she tried to take in air which became hard. A tear fell from her eyes and she struggled to breathe properly.

"He will kill Peter!"

Falling to her knees she held the arm of the chair trying to stabilized herself but it didn't work.

"How will you escape?"

Agitated she got up on her wobbly legs, but fell back down.

"You're a coward!"

"No!" She screamed. Breathing rapidly she mustered the strength to get up and finally made way towards the door. Shivering hands opened the door only to stumble out. She made a dash to get out of the mansion. In that moment nothing mattered - Peter didn't matter, the consequences didn't matter and nor did the pain in her foot mattered. All that her mind focused on was the suffocating fear.

Busy smoking and drinking, the guards failed to notice the scantily clad woman make way out of the mansion. She ran away from them towards the woods. If it wasn't for his car which was making way towards the mansion he would have missed her. Halting the Porsche with a screech, he hopped out immediately but before he could reach her she was out of site and finally into the darkness.

"Sarah!" He shouted as he ran after her. His guards heard his voice, quit everything and ran in his direction.

Out of breath, wounded and thirsty she made a dash towards the forest. She ran away from that one man whom she feared the most. The thin soles of her flats were of no use in the cold weather. Her feet dug in deep into the snow wetting her pyjamas and letting the cold slither up her young body. Halting for a moment she tried to catch her breath. And then reality struck her. In the middle of nowhere, in this untouched part of the woods she stood alone in the thick of the night. The tall trees hovered over her as brutal winds lurched around her frail body. She was deeper inside the dark and wild forrest. Threading a trembling hand in her hair she looked up to find everything's spinning. She took a step forward and hunched forward holding the tree in front of her for support. Sobbing she collapsed to the snow laden ground. Bringing her knees close to her chest she hugged them to give her body some warmth.

"Sarah!" She recognized the familiar voice. Her hand flew to her mouth to control her mewls. Panic stricken she managed to stand up and her unable to decide she looked at everything around her.