Chapter 50: Mason's Wish

My eyes shot open to see a white ceiling. I was lying down, my body felt heavy. It felt as if there was something in my arm and down my throat, but I wasn't sure, all I knew was that I was in pain. I turned my head slightly to the left to see where I was, when I saw my mother, with her head down. The thing stuck in my throat was so far down that I started to choke, I couldn't breathe, I was dying all over again. "Emma? Oh my God Emma! Don't struggle, I'll go get the doctors!" she said in a rush as she left the room. I laid there slightly choking, while I waited for anyone to help me. A minute passed and a doctor and a couple nurses came running in. They started to crowd me, then my eyes felt heavy, so I closed them, and fell asleep. 

I opened my eyes, but slower than the last time because I felt worse than I did then. My mouth was close, which meant whatever was down my throat was gone. Instead there was something on my face, it looked like a breathing mask, I reached up and took it off my face. I started breathing heavily, but there was a sharp pain in my stomach, probably because I was stabbed. Wait, I'm still alive? I turned my head to the left again and my mother looked up at the same time. She looked so relieved as she leaned forward. "Emma you're awake. I'm so, so happy that you're alright." she said lightly as she brushed the hair out of my face. "How are you feeling? Do I need to get the doctors? Are you in too much pain?" she rushed out all at once. 

"Ma...Mason..."I said softly. My throat felt so dry, a glass of water sounded amazing right now. I waited for my mother to say anything about Mason, but her face said it all, now I felt a horrible feeling in my gut that wasn't the stab wound. 

"He's in the ICU, he was stabbed three times and was in worse condition than you were. But don't worry, his family is here with him, he's not alone." she reassured me. I felt the guilty feeling in my stomach go away as I closed my eyes. Mason was still alive. He was going to get through this. 

"What about, dad..." I said slowly. My voice was slowly coming back even though it was dry. Her eyes widened a little, and her face dropped. It was like I said something wrong, the bad feeling returned to my stomach. "Mom...is dad okay?" I asked with a lump in my throat. She closed her eyes for a few seconds and then looked at me. 

"Your father was hurt, way before you and Mason. He was stabbed more times than Mason was, and he was left there, with no medical attention for a while. When the paramedics came, their first priority was you two since you were teenagers." she started off. She paused for a few seconds before continuing. "He was pretty much gone when they got there, and there wasn't much they could do. I'm sorry Emma, but...he didn't make it. He's gone." she said as her voice broke. She started to cry a little which made my eyes water too. 

"No...no..." I said to myself. I was ultimately defeated. My father was dead. He was dead because a psycho bitch had killed him, and almost Mason and I. It was then that I remembered the dream I had. My baby was dead, Rachael killed him or her along with my father. I started to cry and ugly cry and my mother reach up to hold me. We stayed like that for a while until I had no more tears. I wasn't sure why, but I didn't want to cry anymore, I wanted revenge. 

"I'll get the doctor." my mother said as she wiped her tears. She left me alone in the room for about a minute before the doctor came in. He smiled weakly at me as he pulled out his clipboard. 

"Good evening Emma, I'm glad to see you awake, even if it's this late." he said as I raised an eyebrow. 

"How late is it?" I asked, now curious. 

"It's eleven at night. You were brought in yesterday night and you've been unconscious until now. I know you must be confused, and I'm here to explain your injuries and how you'll recover." he started off. I nodded for him to continue. "You were stabbed once and it wasn't long before the paramedics go to you and the others, which was good because you were the easiest to help. We had to give you stitches on your stomach, which will have to stay in for a while to make sure it heals back up." he said. I noticed that his face dropped just like my mother's did, and I knew the bad news was next. 

"I'm terribly sorry to say, but unfortunately the knife went in deep and ended up killing your baby. Your mother informed us that you were about two months pregnant and we tried to save the baby but it was already too late. I'm sorry for your loss." he said with almost an emotionless voice. My head sunk down, I was heartbroken that I lost the baby, but I couldn't cry. I was so angry with Rachael to even shed one more tear. "I'm sorry about this, but the police need to ask you some questions. You're the first one awake and the only one that knows what exactly happened." he said. I looked up and nodded shortly, then waited for the two police men to come in. 

They introduced themselves and started to ask questions. "We're sorry to put you under more stress at the moment miss Black but the sooner we find out who did this, the sooner you get justice." they said. 

"Justice? There is no justice. I lost my father and my baby to that psycho bitch, and you're telling me justice will be served when you find her? How is putting her behind bars going to bring back my father?! Or my baby!" I said, I wasn't exactly yelling but I was raising my voice. "It won't. Nothing can bring them back, therefore I will never get justice." I finished. They ignored my outburst and continued to ask me questions. 

"Can you tell us exactly what happened?" I wanted to answer them sarcastically but I knew that wasn't the way to get rid of them. I also thought about telling them everything, down to every detail, but I knew that would take too long as well. After an hour, I finally got the cops to leave and I could be alone again. It didn't last for long because my mother kept checking in every few minutes. I told her I was fine, and to go see how Mason was, she finally left and I was alone with my thoughts for a while. 

I went to sleep and woke up the next morning feeling better than the day before, at least physically. There was no way that I'd ever be okay mentally ever again. A few hours past and then my mother brought me the news that he was awake, and asking to see me. I felt nervous, as if we just started dating. I walked to his room with my IV drip along with me. I walked in and he was alone, laying down. I walked over and sat down in the chair next to the bed and waited for him to talk. He stared at the ceiling the whole time.

"How are you feeling?" he said. His voice sounded so distant and cold, that I hardly recognized it. 

"I'm alright, how are you?" I asked shaking a little. He was silent for a few seconds, which made me afraid. 

"I know about the baby. How you lost it." he said. I gasped a little and waited for him to continue. "I'm sorry Emma. About everything that's happened to you since you got to Arizona. I'm sorry for all the pain and suffering. I want to make it all better, but I know I can't. So..." he trailed off. I sat in silence as I waited for his next words. "I think it's best if you stayed here. In California." he said. My eyes widened and my jaw opened slightly. 

"What...do you mean?" I asked in disbelief. He then looked at me, and the look in his eyes told me everything. He didn't love me anymore. He was broken inside, and he wanted me to leave. It was over between the two of us, at least for the time being. I got up and walked backed to my room and sat there in silence, until it was time for my release from the hospital. 

I wanted to grant Mason's wish, therefore I was going to stay in California, and never see Mason again.