Chapter 47: The show can begin

Emma's P.O.V

On the jet ride there I stayed quiet as Mason sat on the other end. My dad sat across from me and tried to make conversation but failed. About half way through the trip my dad got up and sat down near Mason. I could tell they were trying to keep their voices down but they didn't do that good of a job about it. I knew they were talking about me and how my dad went into protective mode saying that if he ever hurt me again he would never let him back into my life. I loved my father for doing that but this was something Mason and I had to figure out for ourselves. 

I wasn't even sure of how I felt about this, was I mad at him, or mad at myself? Did he sleep with her because he didn't love me anymore or did she seduce him? Was I the one who sent him to sleep with her? All these questions and thoughts swirled around my head until the jet landed in California. My dad's private driver was waiting for us and kindly loaded our bags as we climbed in. My dad had to come back for business so he wasn't going to be home much this weekend so it was just going to be Mason and I, but I didn't know how I felt about that. 

It only took us about a half hour to reach the beach house and by then it was almost five in the afternoon. I brought my bags into my room while dad showed Mason the guest room. I sat down on my bed and started to remember the moments I spent in here either crying, doing homework, or just staring into darkness. I closed my eyes and sat there without saying a word. I felt so lonely without Mason those two months, and when I came back I was scared out of my mind that he wouldn't want me back. To make things even more intense I was carrying his child, and I wanted him to be in my life, why was I acting as if he was just going to leave me for Rachael? He was honest with me and regretted his mistake. I shouldn't give him that hard of a time. 

There was a knock on the door so I turned to see Mason standing by the door. "Your dad said he was about to leave, if you wanna go say goodbye to him..." he trailed off. I nodded and walked passed him, down the stairs and to the sliding doors. My dad was on the phone and he got off as soon as he saw me. 

"Hey sweetie, sorry to cut things short but I need to go in for a couple hours to sort a new crisis out, then I'll be home to have dinner with you two." he said then kissed me on the head. I kinda stood there like a statue, not sure what to do. I had a strange feeling, I couldn't place it, but something was off. His driver took his suitcase and my father was following him out. 

"Hey dad." I said. He stopped and turned around with a smile. "I love you." I said with a heavy heart. He laughed a little and blew me a kiss. 

"I love you too Emms." he said with a wink. I smiled as he left, then turned around to see Mason waiting by the stairs. I took a deep breath and looked at him. He looked like a sad puppy, adorable even when he wasn't trying. 

"Why'd you do it?" I asked bluntly. I wasn't afraid, I was more curious, which didn't seem to bug me. He looked lost for words, so I waited until he was ready to speak. 

"She didn't want to let me go...she said that I was fooling myself to think that what we had could be over just like that. Then she went on to say that I was someone I wasn't, or at least someone I didn't want to be. She made me so angry...I just had to show her I wasn't who she thought I was. But then...the look she gave me changed my thinking. I started to think that she might be right, that I was too damaged to be with you, that you wouldn't want me later on and then I just stop caring. I let her intentions consume me, and I regret it. I really do Emma." he said as he walked over to me. He took my hands into his and stared into my eyes. 

"I'm not even mad." I confessed. He looked confused so I shook my head. "I mean, that I have no right to be mad at you when I left you for two months without even a goodbye. As long as that was the last time you ever see her again, I'll be fine. I want you Mason, I want to start our family together. I don't think I'll ever be able to love anyone else in this world the way I love you. Now can we please forget about all the stress and the past mistakes and just focus on the two of us? I want to just have a romantic night, you and me." I said as I leaned in for a hug. 

"Anything you want, queen sassy pants." he said with a smile. He hasn't called me that nickname in such a long time, I think I just might cry. 

"Let's go have fun on the beach, King jackass." I said as we both laughed. 

Mason and I changed into our swimsuits and basically had a fun day at the beach, no stress, no problems, just us. Mason helped me get over my fear of going back into the ocean, and I wanted to swim for hours but the sun was setting so I wanted to hold his hand and just walk and look at the sunset together. After walking for a while we sat down in the sand and watched the sunset. All I wanted was to stay in his arms and forget the whole world forever. "So I noticed that I don't know silly things about you, and I was wondering if we do a twenty questions type of game, where we find out new details about each other. But when someone asks a question, the other person has to answer it as well." I said. He smiled and tuck the strand of hair behind my ear. 

"Okay, I'm going first. What's your middle name?" he asked with a goofy smile. I laughed a little too. 

"I can't believe we don't know each other's middle names." I stated as he shook his head. "But um... mine's Lee. What's yours?" I asked raising my eyebrows a little. 

"That's cool my mom's middle name was that! And so was Lucy's." he said with a faint smile. I realized that we brought up something he wasn't sure we were ready to talk about. "Don't laugh, but my middle name is Lawrence." he said. I couldn't help but laugh. 

"Wait, your telling me that your mother named you Lawrence?" I said as I busted out laughing. He was laughing with me but he looked offended. 

"Hey I had no control over what she named me sassy pants!" he said in his playful tone. I laughed a little more and then call for peace. 

"Okay, fine, that was out of your control. My turn now." I said. I thought to myself for a few seconds when I got a question in mind. "What's your favorite color?" I asked with a smile. "My favorite is blue, but light blues. Like the sky, or more importantly, your eyes." I said with even a bigger smile. He smiled so big that my heart felt so much better. 

"Well, my favorite color would have to be red. Dark red, like roses." he said. I smiled and leaned in for him to kiss me. After playing the rest of the game I told him that I had to use the restroom so I'd be back in a few minutes. He sat there and stared at what was left of the sunset as I headed back inside. I walked up to the sliding doors and saw that it was open, when I was pretty sure that I closed it when we went for the swim. My dad might have come home and forgot to close it. I walked inside and closed it behind me. I walked to the stairs and to the restroom. 

Once I was done I was heading back down the stair and thought I heard something in the kitchen. I stopped with about two steps left of the stairs and looked over to see a huge dark puddle on the floor. I slowly walked closer to it, to try to figure out what it was, and when I got closer, I realized that it was blood, and a lot of it. I gasped a little and walked around the counter to fine my dad lying on the floor with blood all over him. "Dad!" I shirked. I fell to my knees and reached for him. "Dad, no no no no, please. Dad!" I yelled as my hands were shaking. 

My hands were shaking uncontrollably as I tried to find the source of all the blood. I looked down to his stomach and saw that it was coming from there, and it looked like he was stabbed with something. 

My father was stabbed.  

"Finally, now the show can begin." Rachael's voice came from behind me.