Chapter 28: The Child That You Neglected

Mason took me home, realizing now how drunk I was, I knew my headache would soon arrive. He tucked me into bed and I smiled at him faintly. "You didn't have to do this for me. I'm the one stupid enough to get drunk in the first place." I said shyly. Why did I get drunk in the first place? All I could think about was how much my hand was hurting. I raised my hand and looked at it. Mason's eyes shifted to my hand and he instantly had a horrified look on his face. 

"Emma, what happened?" he asked taking my hand. He was inspecting it like he was some kind of detective. He looked at me, waiting for me to answer. The truth was, I couldn't really remember how I got that. But I didn't want to scare him even more, so I was trying to think of something when his look got more concerned. "Emma, please tell me this was an accident. And that you didn't do this on purpose." he said in a serious tone. Was he asking me if I cut myself on purpose? He stood up. 

"Emma! Please tell me you didn't do this on purpose!" he yelled. My mouth opened slightly. 

"I don't know! I can't remember what happened last night. I probably cut myself on accident and forgot about it." I said looking away. I couldn't believe he would think that, but then again, he did has a reason. 

"Emma I'm sorry but, I'm just worried about you. This isn't like you." he said. I gave a half laugh. 

"You know what else isn't like me? Killing someone." I said bluntly. He stepped back slightly and had a painful expression on his face. 

"Emma you didn't kill her. You were trying to save yourself." he said, trying to reassure me. 

"Try telling that to Jerome." I said looking away again. 

"What? What did Jerome say to you?" he asked, now interested. 

"Why don't you ask him?" I said.

"I tried. He just keeps saying that he messed up and that you'll never forgive him. It's eating him up inside." he said slowly. 

"Well that makes two of us." I said looking down on my hand. The bandage around it was poorly done, I needed to change it. 

"That's why you got drunk and cut yourself? Over something Jerome said? Emma he didn't mean it, I can see it on his face." he said sitting down next to me. 

"That's not going to change the fact that he said it. Mason, just go. I wanna be alone." I said holding back my tears. 

"I'm afraid to leave you alone Emma. What if something happens?" he said softly. 

"You live right down the street. I'll be fine. And I don't think you understand what I meant. I need time to figure some stuff out. Just like you needed time with Lucy." I said. He looked confused. "I think that maybe, we should-"

"We're not breaking up." he said flatly. How did he know what I was going to say? "Take your time. But we're not breaking up." he said. And with that, he left me in my bed alone. 

Charles' P.O.V: 

I was at work when I got the call from my daughter Emma, and she was crying. She kept saying that she needed me and that things were horrible for her. Then she told me the thing I never wanted to hear. That my daughter almost died, and my ex-wife didn't even bother to call me. She insisted that she wanted to talk to me before but her mother told her I was busy. She thought I didn't care, which wasn't true. I tried to talk to Emma almost every night since she left California, but Catherine told me that she was busy or that she didn't want to talk to me. 

Catherine has been lying to both of us all this time. 

I got on my private jet as fast as I could, and rushed straight to Catherine's office. I knew she was working, and I didn't care if I made a scene. I was so angry with Catherine that I thought of all kinds of things to say to her when I saw her. I went to the front desk of the building and demanded to know which floor she was on, I think I scared the person but my head was elsewhere. I took the elevator up until I reached floor twenty. 

I walked straight and looked for the office with her name on it. I opened the door and I expected myself to blow up, but she wasn't in there. I slammed the door shut and someone turned and looked at me. "Can I help you sir?" she asked. 

"Yes, do you know where Catherine Rose is? I need to speak to her immediately." I said in my professional tone. 

"She's in a meeting down the hall. If you wait in her office she should be done any minute now." I walked away without even hearing the rest of what she said. Just like she said, Catherine was in a meeting talking to some important looking people. I barged right in, my anger had its control over me. 

"Charles? Can't you see I'm in an important business meeting? Wait for me in my office." she said coldly. 

"I'm not waiting for you in your damn office. We need to talk now." I said in a serious tone. 

"This is important. You can wait." she said staring at me with her emotionless eyes. 

"Just like our daughter can wait? She called me crying, and you rather have a business meeting then talk to me?" I raised my voice. 

"Catherine, it seems like this is important. We understand if you need to step out for a few minutes." said some guy at the table. 

"No. I have a job to do, Emma can wait until I'm done." she said simply. I wanted to smack her, but I knew they would have me removed from the building. 

"How can you even say that? Our daughter called me crying, and you don't even care? You're a horrible mother, and I should've never agreed for you to take Emma with you. Finish your business meeting, it's obvious that you care more about this than your own daughter." I said as I slammed the door shut behind me. I started walking to the elevator when Catherine called me name. 

"What the hell is wrong with you? You can't just come barging in and making me look like a fool in front of my co-workers." she started off. 

"Yes I can and I just did. You don't care about Emma at all, and I can't believe that is took me this long to figure that out." I said. I never thought that the woman I loved was capable of this. 

"I do care about her! Things have just been busy lately, and besides, she doesn't like me that much." she said looking around. A few people decided to gather and listen. 

"Oh and I wonder why that is? You're not acting like a mother. You didn't even tell me about Emma almost drowning, and how she blames herself for that girl's death. Why didn't you tell me?!" I yelled. I wanted to kill her, but I would certainly go to jail.  

"She's just a troubled child. She'll get over this, we just need to give her time. And I didn't tell you because I thought you didn't need to know." she said crossing her arms. My eyes widened with surprise. 

"I didn't need to know? She almost died! That's something a father should know. And she won't get over this if we don't talk to her." I said clenching my fists. 

"Well you haven't been there for her, what makes you want to be here for her now?" she asked me with no emotion in her voice. 

"I tried to talk to her every chance I got but you stopped us from talking. You didn't want us talking because you're psycho! I can't believe I let my child live with someone as heartless as you." I said shaking my head. I started to walk away but she grabbed my arm. 

"Where do you think you're going?" she asked with nothing but coldness in her eyes. 

"To go see the child that you neglected." I said simply and walked off to the elevator. I turned to face her, a look of shock on her face surprised even me. "She will no longer be yours to call daughter. See you in court, Catherine." I said as the elevator doors closed. 

Emma's P.O.V:

My father finally showed up a few hours after I called him. The second I saw him, all of the memories I had of him and I flooded back to me. Then I realized how long it's been since I last saw him, when I first came to Arizona. I feel to my knees and began to weep. He knelt down and hugged me. He rubbed my back and continued repeating "It's okay, I'm here." over and over again. 

I had no idea how long we were there, but I did know that I needed that.