Chapter 27: I love you

I somehow made it home, but by the time I go there, it was around midnight. I was at the graveyard around noon, I was out for about twelve hours. I could only remember Jerome yelling at me and his harsh words were burned inside my head playing on repeat. He called me a murderer. He said I should know how he felt for five years. 

And I did. I wished I never pushed Nadia into the pool that night. I wished that she wouldn't have died. I wished I could warm this cold feeling in my chest. But I didn't find a genie in a bottle, I didn't have three wishes, I didn't even have one. 

My mother was passed out in her bed, but I couldn't sleep. Nadia's face kept popping into my head, and Jerome's words got louder and louder. I yelled out loud for him to shut-up, but no one was there. I somehow made it to my mother's alcohol stash, and pulled out a bottle of Jack Daniel's. I grabbed one of the glasses and poured it to the top. I stared at it for a while before I actually picked it up. Jerome's voice came back to me, I lost control of my anger for a split second, and ended up breaking the glass with my hand. 

I looked at my hand and saw a little line of scarlet forming. It slowly got darker and ran down my wrist. I shook my head and tried to focus. I went to the bathroom and washed the blood off, then I wrapped my hand with a wrap. I went back to the stash and got another glass and poured another glass to the top. This time I chugged it. It burnt like hell going down my throat, but I kept drinking. It felt as if I was drinking acid reflex with a bit of bitter mixed into it. It tasted bad, but I didn't care. 

I drove my bike to school, which probably wasn't the best idea but I was too out of it to care. I managed to drive fine and I was going the speed limit, so I wasn't doing anything wrong. I parked it and slowly made my way inside. I didn't sleep at all last night. I sat in the dark and drank, while I thought of Nadia and Jerome, and sadly the person I never got the chance to meet, Lucy. 

I haven't gone to sleep yet, which meant that I didn't have a hangover, yet. I yawned as I opened my locker and I stood there, trying to remember what my first class was. I didn't want to go to school, but I was too out of it to actually think of a good enough reason to not go to school. 

"You need to break things off with Mason." came a voice from behind me. It sounded cold, almost like Nadia's voice. I spun around, wishing that this whole thing was a big dream and that Nadia was fine, but it wasn't Nadia. It was Rachel, and I didn't have any wishes. 

"Um...how bout no?" I said turning back around. 

"How bout yes? Let's face the facts Emma, the King's aren't talking to you, you and Mason are over. Do everyone a favor and back off." she said tossing her hair back. I looked her right in the eye, and tried to figure out if she was joking or being serious. 

"Um...just because the King's aren't talking to anybody, doesn't mean Mason and I are broken up. You're the one that needs to back off. If Nadia didn't even have a chance at Mason, you have no chance." I said truthfully. Rachel looked annoyed, I smiled. 

"Well who could compare to his true love Alex? Mason will never love anyone the way he loved her. You might as well give up." she walked closer to me. We were a few inches apart. I wanted to punch her, but I knew I couldn't get in trouble when I was like this. 

"I'm not trying to be better than Alex. I'm just trying to make Mason happy, but that's none of your damn business." I said shutting my locker. I suddenly didn't want to be at school anymore. I think I found a good enough reason to go home. 

"Whoa, wait a moment...I know that smell. Is that Jack Daniel's I'm smelling? Are you drunk?" she asked with her bitch smile on. She raised her voice a little, she wanted people to find out that I'm drunk. Oh well, it's going to be around school eventually. 

"And what if I am?" I asked giving her my bitch face. I honestly didn't care anymore. 

"Mason hates alcohol. After-all, it is the reason why Lucy's dead." she said looking down the hall. My anger started to boil up. 

"Watch your tongue Rachel, or I'll cut it off." I said in a dangerous tone. I didn't mean to threaten her, it just came out. Mason gave me a look and walked up. 

"You're going to cut whose tongue off?" he asked looking at Rachel. 

"She threatened me because I asked her if she was drunk, which she is by the way." she said smiling at him and batting her eyes. I gave her an evil glare. He looked at me with a concerned look. 

"What do you mean you're drunk?" he said in a low voice. I looked at him and could only think of one thing to say. 

"I mean I'm drunk. As in...I'm drunk." I half whispered. I was exhausted and just wanted to go home so I walked to the door. Mason was right behind me and stopped me. 

"Where do you think you're going?" he asked looking around. Rachel left, for some unknown reason, probably to tell the whole world that I was drunk. It was bad enough that people were staring at me. Everyone at the school knew about me killing Nadia on accident. People were either happy she was dead, thought I was a horrible person, or just didn't care. 

"Um..." I looked around and then back at him. His eyes were really big and I couldn't decide if it was because I was drunk or what. "I'm going home. I don't want to be here anymore." I said honestly. He didn't move. He just stared at me. I gave him a confused look and walked around him. He stood there in the hallway for a little bit, but as soon as I pushed the doors open he yelled something at me. 

"I love you!" I froze automatically. It caught me so off guard, that I slowly turned around and since I was drunk, I decided to whisper like an idiot. 

"Mason! This isn't the time or place to be saying that! You're drawling attention to me, they might find out that I'm drunk!" I whispered putting my finger in front of my lips. He stared there looking at me with utter shock. Oh wait...he just said he loved me. 

He just told me he loved me.

And I didn't say it back. 

Oh. My. God.

"Um...I, I'm sorry I didn't realize what you meant till a second later. Being drunk really isn't good for me." I said to myself. He stood there waiting for me to say something, to tell him I loved him too, but I wasn't sure if I should. I mean, I'm drunk right now. I don't want to say it and not mean it later on, but I don't want to not say it and have him be forever hurt about it. 

"I can't stand the fact that you're drunk right now. I hate alcohol. And seeing you like this scares the hell out of me. I mean, I don't want anything to happen to you, I care too much to see something bad happen to you. So that's why I told you I loved you. A part of me was thinking that it may be my only chance to say it and another part of me was telling me to tell you because I feel as if you're drunk because you're hurting. I just wanted to remind you that people care about you, I care about you." he said putting his hand on my chin. I connected the dots in my head. 

"You don't want the same thing to happen to me as it did to Alex." I said without realizing it. He tensed at her name but nodded slowly. He thought that I was going to shut down and kill myself. 

Did I look that depressed on the outside? I thought I hid it pretty well. Either he was being careful or people noticed my depression more than I thought, maybe a little bit of both. At that moment I knew what the right thing to say was.

I looked him in the eyes and at that moment, Jerome's voice was silenced, and Nadia's face was nowhere to be seen. 

"I love you too."