Chapter 25: Aftermath

I heard voices. Mainly from Mason and Benji. They were worried about me. They kept coming in and out of the room, checking to see if I was awake. The truth was that I was awake, I just didn't want to be. I know what I did. I didn't want to face the consequences though. 

I wasn't sure of what happened to Nadia, and that was the main reason why I didn't want to wake up. What if I killed her? How would I live with myself? I really did try to tell myself that I was over exaggerating, but my gut was telling me otherwise. I heard footsteps coming into the room, and someone sat down in the chair next to my hospital bed. "Come on Emma. I know you're awake. It's time to wake up and face reality." Mason's voice was next to me ear. I flinched a little to his voice and I could tell he smiled, even though my eyes were closed. 

Great, I can't play it off now, he knew I was awake, he probably knew the whole time. He decided not to say anything though. I opened my eyes and swallowed the lump in my throat. I still felt like coughing, the taste of chlorine in my mouth was still strong. I forced myself into a sitting position and looked at him. He started to rub my back. "How are you feeling?" he asked with a shaky voice.  

"How's Nadia doing?" I asked him. I decided to ask him a question rather than lie to him saying that I was fine. I was not fine. His face froze and he stared at the floor, then back at me. 

"How are you doing Emma? I need to know. Are you okay?" He asked looking me in the eyes. My anger got the better of me. He was avoiding my question, but I was also avoiding his. 

"Would you rather have me lie to you and say that I'm fine when I'm not? Tell me how Nadia is. Is she okay?" I asked with more strength in my voice. He looked at me with a look of sympathy, but also a hint of pain in his eyes. 

"It wasn't your fault. You only did what you had to do." he said in a low voice. He was no longer looking at me. 

"Mason. Look at me." I said in a flat voice. I felt my voice about to break. This wasn't good. He slowly looked at me, and his eyes were watery, as if he was fighting back tears. 

"Em em!!!!!" came a little voice as he jumped on the bed. Our attention was drawn to the little boy climbing up the bed and hugging me. I was shocked almost as much as Mason was. "I'm so glad you're okay!! I haven't seen you in forever!" David said in his adorable voice. I smiled, event though I didn't feel like it, David always seemed to make me smile. 

"Hi David, how are you?" I asked laughing a little. He gave me a look. 

"How am I doing??? What about you??!!? You almost died!!!" he said looking scared but relieved at the same time. I can't believe that a this 5-year-old cared about me so much. I really haven't seen him in a while. 

"I'm fine, don't worry about me." I said looking at Mason. Even though he was smiling at David, I could tell that he didn't believe me. David slowly climbed off the bed and looked at me with the biggest brown eyes I've ever seen. His blonde hair seemed to cover the rest of his face, he needed a hair cut. 

"I'll leave you to talk to big brother Mason. But you have to promise me something first." he said. I raised my eyebrows. 

"What would that be?" I asked. He smiled. 

"You have to spend a whole day with me!" he said with a huge grin on his face. I couldn't say no to him. 

"Okay. When I feel better I'll come over and play with you." I said honestly. He laughed and ran out with a huge smile on his tiny face. As soon as the door closed, my smile disappeared. I was putting on a face for David, I didn't want him to see me this way. Mason stared at the door for a while before looking back at me. 

"She's brain dead." Mason said. He blinked a few times before continuing. "When you kicked her, she hit her head on the concrete. She was knocked unconscious, and then she was underwater too long. The lack of oxygen got to her brain. The only thing keeping her alive is the machines." he said, waiting for my response. 

So I did kill her. It was my fault that she was brain dead. "Are they going to keep her alive...or are they going to pull...the plug?" I struggled to ask without my voice breaking. I already felt the water in my eyes. I killed someone.  

"They're keeping her alive until her father can come and decide what will happen. Emma, what happen wasn't your fault. You were only trying to get her off of you." he said. 

"I wanted her dead Mason." I said looking at him. I could feel the tears go down my cheeks. "She said some horrible things about you and your family and, well I...I just attacked her and she tried to kill me. I didn't want to die. I don't want to die...but I didn't want her to die...not really. You have to believe me Mason." I said between my sobs. He reached out and pulled me into his embrace.

"It's okay Emma. I know you didn't mean it. No one blames you. I'm so sorry I didn't get there earlier." he said, rubbing my back. I have no idea how long I cried on his shoulder. All I know is that I eventually fell asleep in his lap and when I woke up, he was passed out as well. 

I walked up to Nadia's front door. A man answered the door after a minute of me knocking. He must be her father. His eyes were puffy, he must have been crying recently. "You must be Emma." was all he said as he let me in. I felt horrible for what had happened to Nadia. Her father showed up, said his goodbyes, and told them to pull the plug. I had no idea why he just gave up on her so fast, but the doctors said there really wasn't any chance of her waking up anyway.  

I killed his daughter. And now I was going to tell him something terrible his daughter did. Was I asking for a death wish? Maybe. I took a deep breath and looked at him. "I have something to tell you about Nadia. And you're going to hate me even more." I started off. He looked at me and exhaled. 

"I don't blame you for Nadia's death. Nadia has always been a troubled child since her mother passed away when she was thirteen. I knew of all the horrible things that happened at her school and what people thought of her. I didn't say anything because I didn't want her to resent me, along with the rest of the world." he said looking from me to his hands. "So, what was it you wanted to tell me?" he asked giving me his full attention. 

I wasn't sure how to say this. But I needed to know if he knew. I took a deep breath and hoped for the best. "Nadia told me something. That was the only reason why I got so mad at her and attacked her." I started off. He nodded for me to continue. "She told me that she was angry with Jerome, and she wanted payback. So she acted." I said, hoping that he would tell me he already knew but all he did was stare at me. He wanted to know how much I knew. 

"She told me that she intended on hurting Jerome but ended up killing Lucy instead." I said staring at the ground. I built up the courage to look him in the face. "Did you know about this?" I asked with a shaky voice. He didn't responded at first, but then he shifted his sitting position. 

"Yes. I did know. I was only trying to protect my daughter from any court cases that were to follow. I don't expect you to understand, but I did it for the love I had for her. She was scared and regretted what she did. Why did you want to know if I knew about this?" he asked looking me in the eyes. 

"I needed to know if there was anyone to back me up. And...I want you to come clean. I want you to tell everyone about what she did. The King family deserves that much." I said with my hands now shaking. An awkward silence passed between us. 

"I was already planing on it. I felt as guilty as Nadia was for the death of Lucy. I have grown to accept the fact that I will probably be going to jail for this. I'm ready to tell the truth. Thank you for telling me what Nadia told you. Maybe she confessed that to you because she couldn't bare the guilt anymore." he said looking out into nothing. 

I'm pretty sure she told me that because she thought I was going to die and I couldn't tell anyone. But I wasn't going to argue with that. I left with the guilt off my chest. I was going to tell Jerome, but I was too emotionally drained to go see or talk to anyone. Instead I headed home, to my bed.