Chapter 10: The Rumor

I woke up to my alarm, and to my mom calling my name. I groaned and forced myself to get up. I got dressed and headed down stairs. Mom had breakfast already done and she was sitting at the table, waiting for me. I slowed down, and then took the seat next to her and started to eat. She was staring at me with a smile on her face, like she knew something I didn't. "What's up with you?" I asked as I stuffed some sausage into my mouth. 

"I was hoping you would tell me." she said. I gave her a look, what the hell was she talking about?

"Tell you what?" I asked, confused. She laughed a little. I haven't heard her laugh in a real long time. How her chocolate eyes glowed, and how her smile made her more beautiful.  

"You know." she teased. I gave her a look of utter confusion. 

"Mom, I have no idea what you're taking about." I said looking her in the eye. She gave me a quick frown. 

"Fine, I'll be blunt with you. What's going on between you and Mason?" she said as she raised both eyebrows at the same time. I froze and I started to blush, and of course she noticed. She smiled more. "You can't lie to me, you're blushing and I saw you two last night." she said as if she won. 

"There's nothing going on between me and him." I said staring down at my plate. 

"That was a big lie. There's defiantly something going on with the two of you." she said as she took a bit of her food. I didn't say anything because I wasn't going to tell her about my life until she tells me about their divorce. 

"Nothing's going on, and if you ever want me to talk about it, you have to tell me about the divorce. It's only fair." I said taking another bit. She didn't say a word after that, and I kind of felt bad. We finished in silence and I left for school. 

"Hey Emma! Sit with us." came Sky's voice. I turned and saw Naomi and Sky sitting down with their food. I walked across the cafeteria and sat down across them. It was the second day of school, but everyone here was acting like it was the middle of the school year. They were all comfortable within their own groups, and I was still an outcast hanging out with two awesome people. 

"So, how are you liking the school so far?" Naomi asked. I thought about it for a second. 

"Well, it seems like everyone knows where they belong and I'm still deciding." I said without thinking. They both looked up at me with a worried look on their faces. 

"What do you mean you're still deciding?" Naomi asked. 

"You're stuck with us whether you want to or not. You're our friend now, and you need us to survive this school. You don't even know the half of what goes on here." Sky said as she took a bit out of her apple. 

"Well, I wasn't sure if you were cool with me hanging out with you guys, but it looks like you are." I said with a smile. "What do you mean by what goes on here? This school seems pretty normal to me." I said looking around. 

They gave each other a look and then both of them leaned loser to me. "This school is anything but normal." Sky said. 

"This school is one of the worst if you ask me." Naomi said drinking some water. I raised my eyebrow at them. 

"What do you mean by worst? My mom said this was a pretty good school when it came to it's educational standards." I said. Sky laughed at my response. 

"We're not talking about educational standards, we're talking about the students." Naomi said with  smile. I was even more confused. How bad could these students be? 

"I still don't understand." I said unsure. They rolled their eyes at me. 

"Let me put it bluntly for you. This school is sex infected." Naomi said with a straight face. My eyes widened and I wanted to laugh. Sky wanted to laugh too but she hit Naomi on the arm. 

"Don't put it that bluntly." she said to her. Her red hair was in her face a little and she looked really pretty today. "What she means is that there are only a few things that matter in this school. How popular you are, and how many people you've slept with." Sky said with a straight face. 

"What? Are you serious?" I asked now shocked. They both nodded their heads. I couldn't believe that this school was like that, but then again, I've only been here for two days. I then noticed Mason and Benji sitting together, surrounded by some girls. I waited a few seconds before Mason saw me and smiled at me. I smiled back. Then I saw Nadia come into view, closer to Mason. 

"Mason, come sit with us, now." she said in a bitchy tone and sat down next to the other two, Rachel and Jade. Mason looked annoyed, whispered something to Benji, and then stood up. He was actually going to sit with them. He gave me a fake smile and then sat down next to them. 

"What the hell was that about?" I asked now a little pissed off. Why did he let Nadia tell him what to do? Sky Naomi looked up from their food. 

"What? Mason and Nadia?" Naomi asked. 

"Oh wait, you don't know, do you?" Sky asked me. 

"Know what?" I asked intrigued. 

"The rumor about Nadia and Mason." Sky continued. 

"It's just a rumor, we don't even know if it's true." Naomi added. 

"Yeah but Mason never denied it." Sky said. 

"Well that doesn't make it true." Naomi replied back.

"Whatever, I just want to know what the hell you guys are talking about." I said. They were about to tell me, but then the lady from the office appeared in my view. 

"Emma Black?" she asked. I looked at her with confusion. 

"Yes?" I asked. 

"You have a visitor in the front office. Jerome King" she said as I stood up. Jerome was visiting me? Why? I grabbed my bag and gave Sky and Naomi a see-you-later look. I followed her back to the office and Jerome was waiting for me. He looked nervous, but more relaxed when he saw me. "He has come to excuse you from school." she said. I gave both of the a questionable look. What the hell was going on? 

"Her mom was too busy at work to come get her herself so she sent me here since my school doesn't start for another two weeks." he said with a smile. Mom never told me about being excused from school today, but maybe she was going to tell me but I made the conversation stop. 

After I was excused, Jerome walked me out to his car and I instantly fell in love with it. He had a black Porsche 918 with white interior, it was beautiful. "Jerome, why did my mom have you come get me?" I asked as we got into the car. We buckled up, and he drove out of the parking lot and onto the main road. 

"Well, to be honest...your mom didn't send me." he said with his eyes on the road. I raised my eyebrows. 

"Then who sent you?" I asked. 

"Well, no one did. I wanted to talk, like I needed to talk to someone about this, and since you're the only one who has ever saw me...cry, you're the only one I can talk to." he said as he grabbed the wheel harder. 

"Okay...but how did you get me out of school? Don't you need a parents signature or something?" I asked.  he laughed a little. 

"It's not that hard to fake a signature. You're mom won't know and neither will anyone else, as long as you don't tell anyone." he said with his eyes glued to the road. He wasn't even looking towards me as we talked, he was a serious driver, and I wondered why. 

"Okay, I understand that you want to talk, but why couldn't you wait till school was over?" I asked and instantly regretted it. He went pale and clutched the wheel even harder. He was silent for a few seconds and then let out a deep breath. 

"I couldn't stand the silence. You don't know how it feels to be damaged inside and no one even knows you're hurting. You're the only one who has ever seen me like that and well...I feel better knowing that someone knew I was hurting. I'm sorry, I know I'm being selfish, but I just needed someone to care." he said as we drove into another parking lot. I looked around to see where he took us and froze. 

We were at a cemetery.