Fragile Hearts: Twenty-Three

"I see nothing has changed," Neji said entering the living room. She had let him use the extra room she had and he had just finished getting cleaned up for bed.

"Did you expect anything to change?" She asked scooting over on the couch to give him space. He sat beside her with a sigh and she picked up the cup of coffee she'd made for him.

The brown haired man took it gingerly and chuckled, "not really. You're about as constant as the stars."

Hinata smiled and picked up her own mug, "thought you'd forgotten."

"Listen, ah..." He scratched the side of his head and sat forward. "Thanks for letting me stay here."

She shook her head after taking a sip of her hot beverage, "you're always welcome here Neji-nii."

The pale eyed man placed the mug down and ruffled his hair, it was loose and still damp. "Well, you're going to need another bottle of shampoo."

The midnight blue haired girl deadpanned, "why don't you just cut your hair?"

His eyes widened, "why should I? I like it like this."

"You look like a girl."

"And?" He retorted.

"What was it Tenten used to call you? Oh, right," she smirked before continuing. "Rapunzel."

Neji frowned and picked up his coffee again. "You both are annoying," he muttered.

Hinata giggled and nudged him with her socked foot, "you love me."

"Where is Tenten anyway?" He asked pushing her foot away.

"Kyoto...I haven't seen her since college," she said with a sigh.

"That makes two of us," he stated then sighed. "Well what have you been doing with yourself?"

Hinata shrugged, "I still work with Shino at the pet shop."

"Still not dating?"

"No...w-well...not really."

Neji arched an eyebrow, "well?"

The pale girl shook her head, "enough about me. You're the one who decided to join the army?"

"There's nothing special about that. Plus I have nothing to tell, it's just me moving around military bases with a bunch of guys and a few girls."

"No dating?"

Neji frowned, "no."

They were silent for the next few minutes, both lost in their own thoughts and problems. "I thought you'd go home before coming to see me."

"Yeah well I'm in no hurry to see your dad...Hanabi, yes." He said leaning back in the soft material of the couch.

"You and me both," she muttered looking around her neat living room. "When are you going home though?"

"Trying to get rid of me already?" Neji asked arching an eyebrow.

Hinata scoffed, "no...I was just—"

"In a few days...you should come with me." She shook her head quickly, dismissing the suggestion. "You can't avoid him forever...he's your father."

"Whenever he's ready to act like a father then I'll see him," she said getting to her feet. "It's getting late...I'm going to bed."

"Goodnight," he replied watching her place her mug in the kitchen.

She stretched on her way to her bedroom, "goodnight, sleep well Neji-nii." She didn't close her door since it really wasn't necessary. Turning off her phone, she put it to charge and rested it on the bedside table. Turning off the light she crawled into bed and sighed from the blissful feeling she experienced from having new covers. Her day had been great, she'd spent time with Naruto and Neji visited her. She wished everyday could be good, but something told her that it was only the calm before the storm.