Chapter 17 (Part 2): Too Late

I woke up to the sound of someone calling my name. I moaned tiredly and sat up, opening my eyes to the blinding light. Strangely, the light was brighter than usual. Much brighter, as if someone had brought in a spotlight and shined it in my face. I rubbed my closed eyes gently and got out of bed.
I looked down and my eyes widened when I saw that I was no longer in the clothes I changed into last night, but already in my Camp shirt and black denim shorts, along with my shoes.
I immediately suspected that someone came in, and changed me but I removed the thought and the image from my head just as quickly as it entered, realized how strange and awkward that sounds. I then came to a conclusion that I woke up earlier, changed, then fell back asleep and just forgot.
I looked around me and all of the beds were empty, which also made me wonder if I just overslept. Because usually, I am the first person up. I shrugged and walked out the Cabin, and took a look around, but there was no one in sight.

I frowned and continued to look around, from around the other cabins, to inside them, to the training area. But I still saw no one.
I heard a voice call my name again from behind me and I turned around quickly, but saw no one there.
“What the…” I mumbled and looked around me, but I was still alone.
“Kristen…”
I realized that it was a lady’s voice, but now it was faint. I turned to my left, and slowly walked towards the voice.

“Who’s there?” I called, but not expecting any reply. And I didn’t get one.
“Hello?” I called again, but not as loudly.

“Kristen…”
I was officially creeped out.
But I put up a brave face although no one is looking and walked towards where the voice seemed to be coming from. Which was from behind the Zeus Cabin.
I peeked around it to see if I spotted anyone on the sides, but when I saw no one I continued walking. I frowned and walked back to the front of the Cabin. I heard the voice again, and realized it wasn’t coming from inside, or outside the Zeus Cabin.

I walked towards the Cabin beside it, and took a deep breath as I watched one of the curtains inside sway suspiciously. I felt as if I was in a horror movie, in the open sunlight.
I walked into the Cabin and saw the lady in a gown standing there with her back facing me.

“Who are you?” I asked softly, and the lady turned around gracefully. I swallowed slowly when I noticed a faint glow radiating around her, and I immediately knew that she was some kind of powerful being, possibly a god—or goddess, but she is definitely not a human.

She did not answer my question, nor come any closer to me, but instead looked at me, wearing a face clear with guilt or regret.
“You were not meant to be here Kristen Black. You shouldn’t be here. It was not your expected path to carry such burden, or that much responsibility. But the fates do have a mind of their own. And fate can change. Things are just the way they are, and you yourself have no choice but to follow it. You have a huge and important future ahead of you Kristen. Soon you will have to make a decision that will strongly affect the rest of your life and the life of others. Beware Kristen, and very, very careful. Of the places, and living beings around you. Last of all, I’m sorry.”

And with that the lady disappeared.

I woke up from my frozen state of confusion, but ended up with even more questions rushing through my head.
“Wait!” I exclaimed towards the place where the lady was before, even if I knew she wasn’t there to listen.
“Come back!” I exclaimed again, even louder. “I don’t understand!” I said loudly, close to screaming, desperation dripping from my words.

I ran out of the cabin and looked around but I didn’t see her anywhere. “Come back…” I whimpered, still looking around but I was still alone.
Then just before I was going to continue walking to look for people, an arm came from behind me and wrapped itself around my neck.
I screamed, then made a choking sound as the arm tightened. I got hold of the arm with both of my own, and pried the thin, but muscular arm off, but wasn’t only able to take it off completely. I screamed again until a hand came from the other side and clapped itself over my mouth. I screamed muffled cries for help, even if I knew no one was here to help me.

I took my chances and bit my attacker finder as he or she pulled me backwards. A yowl came from my attacker and it sounded a lot like a man, or a boy. I took the chance to try to escape from his grasp, but as spun him around with me, I caught sight of a girl in a hood standing in front of me. I gasped when I quickly recognized her face, surrounded by golden curls and strange lavender eyes.

Before I could say anything I felt something hard hit my head, and I felt my eyes roll backwards as I started to fall…

I gasped as I woke up again, just before I hit the ground, sitting up immediately. I felt my chest rising up and down as I took deep and heavy breaths. I blinked several times, looking around me. Realizing it was all just a dream. I slowed down my breathing which already hit the point of hyperventilation, so that I don’t end up fainting.

I frowned at how real that dream felt. I looked around me, and let out a sigh of relief when I saw Alfire, the Stoll’s, and all the other Hermes kids still in bed. I looked down and smiled when I saw that I was still in the clothes I changed into last night.

I got out of bed quietly and got the clothes I wore in my dream and went into the shower rooms to change. Once I changed I went back to the cabin, I saw Alfire sitting up at the edge of his bed. I look to the side and saw that all of the other beds were already fixed and empty.
Did I really take that long? I wondered.
All except for the Stolls, who were still fast asleep. Conner practically hanging off the side of his bed, and it’s a good thing he got the lower bunk.
I walked towards Alfire and sat next to him. He looked up slowly and smiled at me. I smiled back and when he looked down, I leaned down with him and asked softly, “Hey, you ok?”

Alfire nodded, still not saying anything, then falling backwards onto the bed. I snorted in amusement then stood up. I patted him on his arm and said, “Come on, get up. We have to get ready for our first game.”

He sat up quickly and looked at me as he finally spoke, saying, “Oh right! We have Capture the Flag today!”

“Huh?”
“What?”
“I heard someone use ‘Capture’ and ‘Flag’ in the same sentence.”
“Oh right! We have a game today!”
“Holy Hades I forgot! Ok well, not really, but yeah we need to practice.”
“I hope the Hermes Cabin gets chosen for the games.”
“We didn’t get to last time, so it’s only fair that they let us now.”

I watched in amusement as the Stoll brothers chattered about. I left Alfire while he changed his shirt, replacing it with a new Camp Half Blood shirt. I honestly had no problem with guys changing their shirt, I mean at least not Alfire. He did it before when we were camping and during the other times we went swimming and stuff. And I always saw him shirtless during the time when he used to play basketball.
I walked towards Conner and Travis as they got out of their beds. “Ello’ guys.” I chirped.
“Hey Kris.” Travis grinned.
“Good Morning Ms. Black.” Conner winked playfully.
“Good Morning back, Mr. Stoll.” I played along, curtsying.
The twins laughed and so did I. I liked this, I liked how easily we all got along. Plus the longer I stayed here, the closer I became with the boys. They sure are a handful, but they are funny and I never get bored around them.

“So Kris, want to join us for training?” Travis asked.
I nodded eagerly and Conner grinned. I looked towards Alfire, then back at the brothers hopefully. Conner shrugged and Travis nodded. Travis then called out, “Hey Alfire, want to come with us for training too?”

Alfire looked at us then nodded, “Sure.”
“Yay.” I smiled, turning from Alfire back o the Stoll’s.
“So what are you guys going to do first, exactly?”

Conner and Travis looked at each other, then back at me.
“Change into new clothes?” Travis offered.
I nodded and said, “Ok, well I guess I’ll meet you guys outside then.”
“Or, you could just stay here and watch.” Conner smirked cheekily.
I rolled my eyes, and followed Alfire out of the cabin, pushing Conner playfully from the back as I passed him saying, “I’d rather not.”
“You won’t know until you try it!” Conner joked, causing me to laugh.
“I’ll still pass thanks!” I called back before I left the cabin.
“Your loss.” Conner shouted once I was out. I snorted and Alfire laughed.

“You guys seem to be getting a long Kris.” Alfire stated.
I nodded saying, “Yeah I guess so.”
Then I looked at him and frowned when I saw him was looking at me funnily.
“What?” he asked.
“Why are you looking at me like that?” I asked.
“No reason.” Alfire shrugged. “Just glad to see you look so happy.”
I hugging him from the side and said childishly, “Aww that’s so sweet!”
Alfire chuckled and put his hands on my shoulder and lead me towards a rock where we took a seat, waiting for the Stoll Brothers.

Once they got out of the cabin we headed towards the training area. I reached out for my daggers which I liked and practiced with the most, until I heard someone call my name. I looked at Alfire and Stoll also retrieving their weapons, but none of them were looking my way. I suspected that maybe it was either one of Travis or Conner just playing with me until I heard my name again.

I looked behind me and saw Leo walking towards me. I suddenly remembered my promise to him last night.
“Kris?” Alfire’s voice came from beside me. I looked at him, and realized that I was just standing there.
“Yeah?” I asked.
“Is, anything wrong?” He asked.
I shook my head quickly. “No! No, not at all.”
He looked at me suspiciously, but just shrugged. I also realized that he hadn’t noticed Leo standing there, but to his defense Leo didn’t look suspicious at all. He looked like he was just standing there doing his own thing.
“I just remembered,” I started looking from Alfire to Travis, to Conner, “I actually have to do something I forgot about it earlier but, I can’t really leave it now so… See you guys later?”
Alfire looked at me, frowning a little, but I decided to ignore it and looked at the twins. Travis shrugged and Conner nodded, “Yeah sure. See you later then.”
I smiled at them and then as I left I grabbed Alfire’s arm and tip-toed to reach his ear as I whispered, “I’ll explain later.”
Alfire sighed, and nodded; and I walked towards to where Leo was standing. I frowned when I didn’t see him. Then just before my hopes of leaving rose, I heard a loud ‘Psst!’ from behind me. I turned around, and saw Leo poking out from behind a rack of spears.

“What the heck Leo?” I hissed.
“Didn’t really think you’re friend over there agreed with you meeting me.” He replied nervously, scratching the back of his neck.
“Whom? Alfire?” I asked. When Leo nodded, I said, “Yeah well he doesn’t know. But if he did know, then yeah he wouldn’t have approved. If you haven’t noticed, he’s still not warming up to you.”
Leo nodded and shrugged, “Please, of course I know. It’s kinda’ hard not to notice the glares he gives me every single time we make eye contact.”
I laughed lightly, amused of how Alfire is handling this. I quickly hid my smile and then looked at Leo. “So. What was it that you wanted to talk to me about?”
Leo looked around quickly then grabbed my wrist. I instinctively pulled it away as fast as possible, and Leo looked at me with surprise.
I was about to apologize since I couldn’t help it, but decided to leave him to think I did it on purpose.

“Sorry Kris. But, if you don’t mind I… I want to talk about this in private.” He said.
I narrowed my eyes questioningly. “We’re hiding behind a spear rack. How much more private do you need?”
“A lot more.” He replied. “There are campers walking back and forth around here.”
I sighed and gave in. I nodded and Leo took hold f my wrist gently and pulled me towards the woods. I bit my lip to prevent myself from squeaking at his touch. That clear shock of electricity that I felt every time our skin met. I noticed that he flinched a little as well, but I wasn’t sure if it was for the same reasons. So I stayed quiet.

He took me to a clearing in the woods and started looking around. I crossed my arms and sighed, saying, “Do you still really need to look around for people? I mean, we’re in the middle of the forest. Besides, what is so secretive that you have to tell me without anyone else hearing about it?”

“It’s not exactly secretive but--”
“But what?” I interrupted for the sake of it.
“But I thought it would be best if there was no one to interrupt. Or interfere.” Leo said.
I sighed then took a hold of his wrist, and once again felt the shock, but was only able to keep from releasing it immediately. I pulled him towards my special rock that I sit on by the lake. He smiled when he saw it, and then took a seat on one of the smaller rocks next to the large rock.
I took a seat next to him, taking a deep breath. I then took my chances and looked at him, immediately and unwillingly became mesmerized as I stared deep into his dark brown eyes.

“Ok… how am I going to say this?” Leo said softly. I waited as patiently as I could, trying hide how much my body was shaking. I scolded myself silently, and kept from slapping me on the side of the head as punishment when I felt tingle in my stomach once he looked at me again.
Stop it Kristen. No, you can’t do this. You just can’t. I told myself.

“Kris, I noticed how you look at me now. Like with Alfire, it’s kind of hard not to notice.” He swallowed and I felt a strong pang of guilt punch me in the stomach.
I frowned as I watched him standing there, scratching the back of his neck nervously, which I found oddly attractive. I gave my body a little shake to wake myself up.

He let out a sigh and blurted out, “I know who you are Kristen!”
I felt my heart thump against my chest even harder, but I didn’t know what he meant by that line. So I decided to try my best at playing it cool.
“Well of course you know who I am,” I frowned. “I’ve been here for practically a week. I would feel insulted if you didn’t.”

Leo looked at me weirdly then shook his head, “That’s not what I meant Kris. And I have a feeling that you know it.”
He stared me straight into my eyes, forcing me to do the same, “I know who you are Kristen.  I know about how we met. I know about leaving you, and I know about Diana, and I just know. Ok? I remember. I remember everything.”

I thought for a moment my heart froze. I felt as if I was going to faint. Hope started to fire up inside me again but I quickly extinguished it.
I bit my lip and studied his face for any sign of a lie. But then, how would he know about Diana? The only other person in this camp who knew about her was Alfire, and I doubted that he would tell Leo anything about it. Once again, Leo gave me no choice but to believe him.

I frowned, and told myself, but that doesn’t mean I have to forgive him.
“How?” I ask tartly, forcing myself to look away. “Since when?”
I waited for Leo’s answer, but none came. I looked at him and his face was blank.
“Leo?”

Leo blinked and then looked at me. “It’s complicated.”
I raise my eyebrow in annoyance but I’m not going to bother asking anymore. I have better things to do that needs to be done. I sighed “And so?” I look at him shrugging, “What now?”
Leo frowned at me and said, “I was hoping that maybe…”
“Maybe what?” I ask, anger starting to rise in my voice.
“Maybe we could start over? That you could forgive me?” Leo asked.
I always imagined this moment. But I was expecting a different feeling to be churning inside me. I expected happiness and hope to fill me up. But right now, all I felt was resentment and anger. I glared at him and then backed up. “Who do you think I am Leo?”

He looked as if he was at a loss for words. So I continued. “So you remember me. Ok then, what am I supposed to do?”
I took a step closer to him and glared into his eyes, the anger inside me was enough to keep me from getting sucked in. “What is it supposed to change?”
I turned away, arms slightly crossed. He remembers… so I have all reason to be honest. “Forgetting me wasn’t why I’m angry at you Leo.  It’s not why I hate you. It was only just a part of why I hurt. But it’s not the reason why I’m angry.”
I slowly turn again and stood firm as I said. “The reason why I’m angry at you…Is because you left.”
I tightened my hands into a fist. “You lied.  You disappeared.” I felt my voice crack, but I forced myself to continue, “I only hate you because you were never there when I needed you most. You were never there when Diana left, or when I had no one. You left without even a simple explanation. That note? I still have it. But now it means nothing.”

I raised my hands in defeat and I felt hot tears run down my cheeks. I quickly wiped them off and tried to stop my hated emotional breakdowns, but this time I couldn’t. I could just weaken it. I sniffled and continued. “I don’t know what you’re trying to do Leo. Or maybe I do. But either way, I don’t care. Whatever we had back then, if there was even anything at all… it’s gone. I don’t like you anymore. I don’t care.” I gritted my teeth as the lie slipped out. “I’m over you Leo.  I moved on.” I sniffled. “And apparently, until now, so have you. So I suggest you continue.”

I frowned. “I keep reminding myself that maybe what ever happened wasn’t real.  That it was childish. We were still young, I didn’t even know what it was like to fall for someone. If what I felt was even accurate or meaningful. But whenever I tell myself that it wasn’t real, it felt as if someone punched me in the stomach. After a while, I gave up on trying to convince myself that I never really liked you. I gave in to the heartache if that’s what you call it when you’re thirteen. And look at where it got me.” I growled angrily, gesturing towards myself. “I became a long lasting nervous wreck.”

I shook my head. “I always wished that you never left. That you never forgot. But right now, in this very moment, I’m glad that you forgot. And I wish that you continued to forget.”
He looked at me with a confused expression, but no words came out of his mouth.
“I’m trying to forget as well.  I’m trying to pretend as if this never happened, and that I have no idea who you are. Which is starting to go along pretty well since apparently, I no longer know you.” I said.

I lowered my voice to a tired quiet tone, “Stop trying to help Leo. Stop being nice to me. Just stop. It’s not helping. It’s only making it harder. Pretend as if you still forgot. Please… It makes it easier to hate you… makes it easier to move on.” My voice cracked, but I am not going to stop until I said what I had to say. “You may have remembered events, but you don’t know what happened Leo.  You don’t know anything.  So stop trying. Stop making it worst for both of us. Please. Forget about this conversation Leo. Forget about what happened to us before, forget about me.”

I was ashamed and embarrassed of my tears, so I quickly dried them out and took long deep breaths to steady my breathing. I looked at Leo once again and bit my lip in guilt on how lost and hopeless he looked. Once I thought my voice was steady enough, I said, “I need to get back to the others.  They’ll be wondering where I am.”

And I left without waiting for Leo to say a word.

*************************************************

(A/N: BTW I apologize tremendously if you are getting tired of Leo and Kristen drama hahaha )

(A/N: P.S.WITTLE side note, if you like my fanfic, please vote, comment and follow!!! It would mean rons XD thanks guyz love you mwuahhh :P)

(P.P.S ':B' Emoticons are so cute because of the buckteeth hahaha they are so cute/adorble loll ^_^)

If you liked the story so far, please COMMENT, vote, and follow!! ^_^

~Mari <3 :P