Chapter 5: The Unforgettable Hangout at the Woods

A/N: Okay so guys I finally bought House of Hades and omfg asldkjaldjaljdals. Mark of Athena still killed me the most tho dang. And is it weird that I love Nico even more now? Gods. Anyway HERES THE UPDATE THATS THREE DAYS LATE IM SORRY. HOPE YOU ENJOY. ONWARRDDD PROCEED.

***********************************

~Kristen's POV~

"Don't be late for dinner!" Mrs. Collins called from the kitchen.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world, mom!" Diana called back as she put on her jacket, opening the front door. 

"Don't get yourself too dirty either, Diana. I just cleant this house yesterday." Her mom warned. 

Diana raised her eyebrow at me, lowering her voice. "She makes it sound like I'd bring the whole outside world of dirt back home with me."

"Well, you did once jump into a mud puddle and roll around in it." I replied slowly, beginning to see Mrs. Collins point. Diana shrugged.

"I just have an open mind towards other lifestyles of living. I mean, pigs must like it for a reason right?" and sighed. "But I see what you mean, I guess."

I snorted as I walked out of the door first. Diana responded to her mom and said goodbye before closing the door. We picked up speed until we ended up racing towards the edge of the park that connected with the woods. Summer vacation had ended a few weeks earlier, and since then Diana and I had been spending a lot of our time with the twins and Alyssa. In the past year I had grown a lot closer with the group, talking to them as much as Diana had. It wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be, actually.

"Hi!" Alyssa shouted, waving at us. Diana and I had to wait till we caught our breaths again before we could reply.
"Hey Al." Diana panted with a grin, looking up at her from her crouched position of exhaustion. "You know Kris, I kind of think we didn't think through using up most of our energy just to get here."

"You kind of think?" I let out a wavering laugh, giving a small wave to Alyssa in greeting. 

"Don't you guys live only around ten minutes from here?" Alyssa frowned. "Why are you so tired?"

"You try running for eight minutes straight." Diana scoffed, but then groaned. "Oh right. Captain of the track team. Forgot. My bad. It's literally your hobby. Honestly, how are you even human?"

Alyssa laughed, but didn't respond to her jibe. "Darling, you didn't need to run. You're still early."

"It's cold." I finally spoke up. "Had to do something to warm up."

Alyssa nodded, making an 'o' shape with her mouth as though she understood. Before she could say anything a voice came up from behind us.

"We're still on time, aren't we?!" 

We all turned around and saw Zac running up to us, Josh following at his heel. 

"Nah. Sorry." Diana replied, arms on her hips and her eyes squinting as she faced the sun. "We already finished, actually."

"Hi to you too, Diana." Zac laughed and Diana grinned at him. He must have already gotten way too used to her instinctive language of sarcasm.

"Hi to you too, Zachary." She smiled, and Zac waved at Alyssa. A small smile grew on my face when I watched as a shy smile grow on her face the moment Zac had looked at her. I knew she still felt slightly awkward after finding out Zac had a slight thing for Diana. I almost laughed at the memory of Diana telling me that she wasn't interested, remembering all those other times she had scolded me for not giving Josh a time of day. I snapped out of my thoughts as Zac greeted me too. I gave him a smile and and a 'hey' in response.