Chapter 8: Hectic (Part 2)

~Kristen's POV~

Alfire's expression betrayed confusion as he looked around the camp, checking to see if they'd pop up from anywhere. After seeing no one, I felt his arm quickly brush mine as he passed me and entered their tent. I frowned as he came back out holding folded piece of paper. Never really being fond of notes, I frowned as he passed it to me.

We're just going out for a bit. We'll be right back,
you kids take care of yourself.

I read out loud my mom's handwriting. I noticed something different about the second line, as though she had added more pressure onto the pen as she wrote it. Confusion filled me, never remembering a time when my parents decided to take a leisurely stroll. "Went out?" I voiced my thoughts. "Leaving the camp empty?"

I looked to Alfire, worry etched on my face. He only gave me a shrug. 

"I guess they figured we'd be back soon. The fire was only recently put out." He said, looking towards the small campfire, its coals and wood lit with a bright orange encased inside their burnt shell. "They couldn't have left too long ago."
"Should we go look for them?" I wondered.
"And leave the camp too?" He scoffed. "No, I think it's better we just wait here. I'm sure they'll turn up soon."

Weariness still plagued my mind, but I saw he was right. I just woke up... I just need to calm down a bit. It was her handwriting. They'll be okay. I tried to reassure myself. Alfire kept looking at me questioningly. I just nodded. "Yeah. I guess we'll just wait for them."

He nodded in agreement and headed back into our tent, coming back out wearing a new pair of jeans and a gray t-shirt. "Let's stay inside." He told me. "It's cold out here, and if they come back, we'll still hear them." 

I hesitated for a moment before nodding, and followed him back into the tent. 

We ended up not really saying anything, and just sat on top of our sleeping bags. Alfire laid back, hands behinds his head, and stared at the roof. I stayed curled, my knees tucked tightly in as unease continued to make me feel slightly sick. Soon enough, I looked to my side and Alfire was asleep. I carefully crawled over and checked his watch that had still been around his outstretched arm. 

It had been nearly two hours since we got back. Alfire had told me to stay calm and wait, but I couldn't stop the images of the dream I had the day before, or the memories of the last time I had been in the woods and someone disappeared from storming through my mind. Unable to stay still for any longer, I stood up and quickly exchanged my slippers for my converse sneakers and replaced the thick coat for my more comfortable cotton jacket. I tied my curly red-orange hair into a single pony-tail, and headed towards the tent exit. I looked back one last time at Alfire, watching him as his eyes stayed closed and stirred slightly.

I'll be back before he wakes up. I told myself. I just need to make sure. And if nothing, then I just need to go for a walk, take a breather. And left the tent, zipping the door back up.

I tried to look for footprints, and found faint shoeprints of my dad's size leading towards the opposite direction of which Alfire and I had returned from. I stood at the edge of the camp, staring into the forest, frozen. Just look around a bit, and come straight back if they're not there. I repeated to myself. Knowing I wouldn't be able to rest until I knew I at least tried, I gulped and entered the trees. My legs started to shiver again, and I began to regret forgetting to change into more suitable clothes. But if I went back, Alfire might stop me, or I might lose whatever courage or stupidity I had to come and look for them. So I kept going, ignoring the breeze as much as I could manage.