92 No joyride

"Oh, sweetie, call me Kenji. No need to be so formal.", chortled the fire devil.

"Okay, Kenji-san."

He began his story. "I was constantly on fire and lit everything up that I touched."

"How did you get it under control?"

"I had to learn how I could extinguish the flames. At first, I just jumped into the water, but as soon as I dried up again, I inflamed once more. Pyromancy is fortunately one of the more common powers among Oni, as well as strength and shape-shifting, so there are some who can teach you. I had a teacher, who taught me how I could influence the flames with my will through meditation and concentration."

"Cool.", marveled the girl.

"Word."

Shinji pulled the car on the highway and they drove out of the city. Within a short time there were barely any houses visible and soon rice fields and scattered groups of trees lined up.

"I must confess that I envy you a bit for your power, Masuda-san.", explained the driver.

"How come?"

"We all live a very dangerous life. The ability to withstand most attacks gives a tremendous survival advantage."

"It's more than that. If my power is active, it's not only harder to wound me, but I'm also immune to emotional pain. I don't feel anything."

"Nothing at all?", wondered Kenji.

"Nothing at all. No happiness. No sadness. No fear. I jump from rooftops without a second thought. Bullets bounce off my body. I stare death in the eye and don't even shrug." Her voice sounded as if this would give her grief.

"And your eye?"

She sighed. "That was Tirr. He gouged it."

"Crap..."

"I'm very sorry, Masuda-san. I've never met Tirr in person, but what I've heard about him, worries me deeply."

"Fuck. For real. That guy is totally disturbed." Kenji shook in his seat.

"I have survived two encounters with him.", admitted the girl.

Both Oni in the front looked at her in their own way. "Seriously?"

"Yeah..."

"How does your power work anyway?" The driver changed lanes and passed another vehicle. "You are no Oni, right?"

"Somehow not. I used to be a normal girl, but when I had killed one of Tirr's beasts my power awoke."

"And you possess the shadow gaze.", added the undertaker.

"Yes."

Kenji continued the questioning. "Then you're a Half-Oni or something? Was one of your parents an Oni?"

"That's enough for now. Leave her alone.", Yoshiro intervened.

"It doesn't bother me, uncle."

"It bothers me. We don't know how it works so far."

Shinji coughed. "We know that Oni are infertile."

"Really?!" Yuna gasped and looked at her mentor. He nodded once. "Wow."

"Yes. We can fuck around as much as we want. We're never going to pay alimony.", laughed Kenji.

"As if a woman would hop in the box with a walking carpet such as yourself."