Chapter 40- As Long As We're Together

***PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE AND COMMENT! VOTES = UPDATES!***

CHAPTER 40- AS LONG AS WE’RE TOGETHER

The Same Day...
Somewhere in Athens,
Greece

-Thanatos-

I drew my weapon as I saw someone who looked exactly like me emerge from the edge of the forest. And what was more confusing was that Aurea was looking at him as though she wanted to run towards him.

Fury flared within me and the shadows responded. Immediately, the grass around my feet died and withered to nothing.

“Aurea... It’s me. Thanatos. Come to me, now.”

She looked at me with recognition but confusion was still in her eyes. And then I realized this may be the first time that she’d be seeing my Godly form. She has never seen me like this for during the brief time that we were together, I never needed to change into this to draw on power. But I almost did shift into this during the time that I lost control and battled Achilles.

“Aurea... He’s an illusion... He won’t have any powers. Look at me. I do.” I said in a desperate tone. I wanted to cross the distance and just snatch her into my arms but I know that she will be frightened. So I tried to be calm and reason out with her.

“He does have powers! He’s been using it for days to help me!” she shouted. I closed my eyes in frustration. If that is true, then this is one of the most elaborate illusions. And there are only a handful of Gods who can do that...

“No! I am the real Thanatos! I’ve been with you all the time in the cave, Aurea! We endured together. Anything is bearable with us by each other’s side, right?” the illusion argued.

In my rage, I stepped closer and prepared to attack. But I was hit with a wave of magic so familiar that it felt as though I’ve stepped back in time.

I know that magic.

And him being here is something which is really bad.

“Aurea... Come here, this instant... Please...” I begged. I just knew that I had to snatch her away from the illusion before it completely controls her.

She stepped closer towards me and I breathed a sigh of relief. Her eyes held curiosity now as she looked at me from head to foot and inspected the tattoos on my body.

“If you are the real Thanatos... Then who is...?”

Even as she was saying these words, she was backing away from me. Before she could turn around and change her mind, I reached forward and yanked her towards me. She started to scream and struggle but I held her tightly.

“I cannot make you choose between us because I won’t be able to handle it if you chose incorrectly. So I’ll just show you.”

Then, I lifted my hand and hurled my powers towards the fake impression of me. It tried to absorb my power but I added another burst. Instantly, the illusion melted into shadows and then disappeared.

When I summoned my power, Aurea screamed and tried to run towards the illusion. But when she saw that it disintegrated and crept back into the shadows, she stopped struggling. I extended my arms and then hugged her tightly. For days, I did not get to feel her warmth and worried constantly over her safety. And now, except for some bruises, she’s perfectly fine.