Chapter 17- We're On Top of the World

CHAPTER 17- WE’RE ON TOP OF THE WORLD

February 24
Zeus’ Palace
Mount Olympus

-Aurea-

I sat in the palace steps and held out my hand. I let the light catch my new pearl-and-diamond bracelet and watched subaas the facets of the diamond scattered the light. I smiled and my heart felt very light. Thanatos was really one thoughtful man.

And right now, he’s sitting beside me.

“It brings me joy that you like the bracelet. If I knew you’d enjoy trinkets that much, I would’ve given you many of those.” He remarked.

I playfully slapped his arm and laughed. “I don’t enjoy just any trinket. Gods know how much of those I have because of my father being the God of Riches. I like your gift because of the thought that went into it. There’s something special about this because it’s the pearls you scavenged for on a lake and it’s your power which makes the diamond swirl with a black mist.” I explained.

His brows were furrowed as if he did not understand it.

“In gifts, it’s a cliché to say that it’s the thought that counts. But for me, it’s true. I’d rather receive something someone made rather than receive something very expensive that someone chose out of a shop.” I explained further.

Finally, Thanatos nodded. I laughed again for I loved just how innocent he was of this world. I know that he represents Death... But deep inside he’s as pure as driven snow...

I smiled at the thought and looked at him. “Aren’t you going to join the next games?” I asked.

He shook his head. “Eros told me that the next game is Zeus playing chess with Poseidon. And then there’s this huge chessboard where the Gods play the pieces. Eros said it takes a very long time. I’m not usually present in this games so there’s no more spot for me.” He said with a sad shake of his head.

“Aw... Too bad... If you could choose one chess piece to play. What would you choose?” I asked him while I touched the pearls absentmindedly.

He was silent for a long time. “Maybe a knight.” He answered with a small smile. The edge of his lips was turned up and he looked so very freakin’ sexy. I swallowed the lump in my throat as my traitorous mind chose that moment to replay a certain memory: a memory of Thanatos by the lake as he stripped off his armor and spread his wings.

Holy freakin’ moly!

I felt my face flame as my brain played the memory vividly. My eyes roamed over all the hard planes in his chest... And then trailed lower to his washboard abs. Instantly, I recalled Emma Stone’s line in Crazy Stupid Love as Ryan Gosling took off his shirt:

“Seriously? It’s like you’re photo shopped!”

Yeahp. Thanatos definitely looked photo shopped.

And it didn’t even end there. He just had to spread those beautiful white wings and stretch them to their limits. When he did that, my hand instinctively moved forward, recalling the feeling when I touched those soft, white feathers in the Underworld.