Chapter 24: Because The Moon is Blue

Start from the beginning

He lifted his head towards the sky and sighed, enjoying the cool, night air. Judging from his picture, this had to be Toshiyuki Kawaebata. I hid behind a tree, dismounted from the horse, and got changed into a black dress with matching black heels. 

I hid myself behind a tree and observed him

I hid myself behind a tree and observed him. He wasn't doing much as he just sat there. After a few minutes, he looked around. "Is someone there? Come out. I can sense your chakra." Toshiyuki called. 'He spotted me? Well, might as well reveal myself' I thought.

 I poked my head out from behind the tree and looked at him while the rest of my bodyw as hiding behind the tree. "It's good to see you." I said, calmly. "This place hasn't been found by anyone before. How did you get here?" Toshiyuki demanded.

"I just wanted to meet you." I explained. "So... Who are you?" He asked. "I'm the person who'll be killing you tomorrow morning." I stated.

"Killing me? Why? What for?"

"Your name's in the bingo book, and your body's worth $25 million. Didn't you know?"

He stared at me while I smiled calmly at him. "Hmm... A beautiful lady like you? That's hard to believe. Does this mean I'm dreaming?" Toshiyuki asked. "No. This is reality." I confirmed. "I see. So, then why not kill me now? Why wait till morning?" He asked.

"I wanted the chance to meet you before I kill you. I want to understand you and know how a man like you came out to be one of Orochimaru's prisoners." I explained. "Do you mean to tell me that you came all the way out here just to get to know me? And having to wait hours until the sun rises?" Toshiyuki said.

"Do you think that's weird?" I asked. "Well... Yeah, in a way. But hey, saves me the trouble of killing myself. I suppose you want to ask me why I want to kill myself." He said. "Would it be weird if I said, yes?" I asked, calmly. 

"No... Not at all," Toshiyuki looked at the sky again and sighed. "So, go ahead. Ask me anything you want." He said before looking at me. I closed my eyes as I rested the side of my face against the tree. "Did you have fun, Toshiyuki?" I asked.

"Fun?" He repeated. "Did you have fun during your lifetime?" I repeated. "Heh." Toshiyuki closed his eyes with a smirk before picking up a rock.

"I was once happy. Had a beautiful wife and kid and felt like my life was perfect. Until one day, I was taken away from my family, and started living my life as a prisoner, an experiment. A few years later, I learned my wife and child had been killed in a fire. It devastated me, knowing I would never seen them again. Every day, I'd think about them and I'd blame myself for not being able to save them. So, to answer your question... No, I didn't have fun. Not at the least." Toshiyuki said while gazing at the rock the whole time he spoke.

"Damn it!" He cursed as he threw the rick somewhere. I blinked at him, feeling a bit sorry for the man. I walked out from behind the tree and approached Toshiyuki before holding out my hand to him. He hesitantly took my hand and I made him stand to his feet.

Still having hold of his hand, I turned around and rested my back against his chest while I guided his other arm around my stomach so he was holding me. I closed my eyes for a moment before opening them, looking at Toshiyuki.

"You are romantic, aren't you?" He commented with a gentle smile. "Perhaps. Or maybe... because the moon is blue." I said, gazing at the moon. It shined down on us while a tint of blue was shown on the surface. "Toshiyuki... Do you think I'm a freak?" I asked him.

"Why would I think that?" He asked, returning the question. "These things on my back... They're scary, aren't they?" I said. "Not at all. In fact... I think they look really beautiful. Just like you." Toshiyuki said. I glanced at him before gazing back at the moon. 

Now I'm certain... humans aren't all that bad. I stayed with Toshiyuki until he grew tired. I told him I'd see him in the morning and he went back inside the hideout.

When morning arrived, I was back in my usual attire as I lied on a rocky ledge, observing the prisoners while they dug holes. As the prisoners were working, there was a girl with long red hair wearing brown glasses, watching them all.

I spotted Toshiyuki working hard until he suddenly stopped. "Toshi, what are you doing?" His fellow prisoner asked him. Toshiyuki didn't answer as he closed his eyes with a calm smile. He knew I was in the area and he knew I was going to kill him soon.

"Toshiyuki Kawaebata... I give you mercy." I murmured before pulling the trigger. I shot Toshiyuki in the head and he fell to the ground. "Goodbye..." I whispered as my eyes softened slightly. All the prisoners heard the shot and began to look around, trying to figure out where it came from.

"Where did the shot come from?!"

"Are we being ambushed?!"

"Take cover!"

The red-haired girl looked around until she spotted me on the ledge. I calmly stared at her as I aimed to shoot her. "Scary chick." I mumbled before pulling the trigger. I didn't kill her as the bullet went through her hair. The girl stumbled back, startled from the shot.

To be honest, I was never planning to kill her. My only intention was to scare her. I jumped down from the ledge, landing on the ground in a kneeling position. I stood to my feet and walked over to Toshiyuki's corpse.

"Is that her? Did she kill Toshi?"

"How did she get here?"

"What are those things on her back?"

The prisoners talked amongst themselves as I approached Toshiyuki's body. Once I was near his body, I glanced at the red-haired girl. She frowned at me, as if waiting for me to do something. I looked back at Toshiyuki and picked him, putting him over my shoulder.

I walked back over the horse I had hidden on the ledge and climbed onto its back while placing Toshiyuki's body across the horse's back in front of me. I headed to the collection office, remembering the direction from when I was Hidan and Kakuzu.

Once I got to the collection office, I dismounted from the horse and approached the collection office, carrying Toshiyuki's body inside. "Strange... It looks like an ordinary bathroom... unless there's a secret entrance." I said.

I felt around the walls until I opened a door. "Hello?" I called. A man with a scar stepped out of the shadows, revealing himself as he frowned at me. "Who are you?" He demanded. "I don't believe we've met. My name's Nue. I was once affiliated with Kakuzu." I introduced.

"Kakuzu? Where is he?" He asked. "Dead." I stated. I placed Toshiyuki's body on the table and took out the bingo book, showing him the picture. "Hmm... You did good, kid." The collector commented. "Thank you." I replied.

He went over to a different table and got out a briefcase. "Here's your reward." He said, setting the briefcase on the table in between us. I turned the case around so it was facing me and opened it. Inside the case, was a lot of money.

I didn't bother counting it as I closed the lid. "Pleasure doing business with you." I said before leaving with the case of money.

As promised, I returned the horse to its stables and took off the reins. "Thanks for the ride, friend." I said, gently patting its side. I flew back to my spot in the woods. I lied down on the ground and closed my eyes with a sigh.

I opened them, looking at the sky as the clouds slowly passed by. "Toshiyuki Kawaebata... Yesterday was a lot of fun. But not tonight..." I said. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.