4. Among All the Noise in the World

Start from the beginning

The guard took the printed out painting of what Solomon would look like as the doctor turned back to the board. "If you are right then what are saying about this girl, that for the past 2 years she has been living in a Viking cosplay thing?"

"No for the past two years I think McKenzie has been living in the Viking era Ireland."

The guard grabbed the door knob as the doctor stayed in front of the board that was lined with notes and photos.

He closed the door slowly behind him as a few nurses went down the hallway mumbling about something a patient did earlier in the shift.

The door was pushed closed as the guard walked toward the room.

He paused at the door when he heard something moving around.

The figure stopped moving as he pushed the door open to let light finally into the room.

He looked at the figure as she put her hand up to grab a piece of hair. His eyes narrowed to adjust to the darkness when he was finally able to make the features out on her face.

"You know if you keep staring at her she will attack you."

The guard jumped to the side as I rounded the corner to see him now in the hallway reaching for her door.

I crossed my arms as he just stood there looking at me, "You ok?"

"I'm sorry, I thought that was your room." His breathing tried to slow when the girl ran into the door screaming about seeing something in her room. "I forgot she is still here."

"She likes to yell about a baby hanging in her room. I thought she was nuts until I realized everyone in here is nuts." My eyes trailed down the hallway as one of the girls at the end vanished back into her room.

"You know you are in here too."

"I attacked a guard in the hospital. I kinda have a different reason."

He nodded his head back at me as his heart seemed to slow down.

"I didn't catch your name earlier."

"I'm Casey. I'm one of the night guards around here."

"You look kinda young to be dealing with this."

"I am. I'm 24."

I smiled over at him as the night lights turned on meaning we had 5 minutes until curfew. "That is my age."

"I just gotta ask you something. Why did you call me Kingston?"

My eyes drifted back to him as I saw Kingston's strong features in the side of his jaw. The way the one vein ran down his neck as he looked at me was like the one that Kingston had when he would smile at me.

I shook my head as I tried to shake the image of Kingston away from me.

This wasn't Kingston. Nothing about him was Kingston.

"McKenzie, are you ok?" Casey asked me as he stepped closer to him in the fading light of the hallway.

I reached up to give us space when something echoed through the hallway.

Casey studied my face as I looked to the right waiting for the noise again but nothing, "McKenzie?"

"Shush, don't talk. Something is off." I said looking to the left.