Chapter 38

I took Ven's advice and decided to let my feelings for Kamakozi guide me. It was a wonderful week of blushing, batting my eyes at him and stollen glances.

Whenever we were in close proximity, everything around us blurred and when we were not, he saturated my thoughts. I had learned to cage my fear and it no longer controlled me.

When we talked I opened myself up completely, I hid nothing from him. He knew my fears and while he did not say it, I felt the silent promise of protection over me.

We went about our days normally, trying to best each other at everything only this time with a spark of what we wanted to believe was love.

My stomach had become a farm for the imaginary butterflies that tickled me every time I saw him or smelled him in the air. The way he smelled was overwhelming, his perfume was bold and dizzying.

My friends found it irritating and never ceased to complain about his entrances. I had gotten so fond of him I no longer saw the arrogant jerk everyone thought he was. It could have been that I was seeing what I wanted to but I believed him every time we spoke. He never lied, he was just brutally blunt.

Today he sent me another of his brief chits.

Hey,
can we meet next to the dining hall, I've something pretty important I'd like to tell you.
Me.

Harry saw it first and told the rest of girls before I could, they were so excited and couldn't stop talking about it.  I was trying so hard not to blush but my face wouldn't have it my way so I have been doing my best to pay attention to my history teacher instead.

"You know you can't fight it," Harry said.

"What?" I tried to look serious, emphasis on tried.

She laughed and turned to the left column to peer at him. When she looked back at me, she was beaming.

"I think he knows it too," she said.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I said.

"What do you think he wants to tell you?" she asked.

"Probably wants to brag about his new watch," I said.

"I think he's going to ask you to be his girlfriend," she said leaning in so only I could hear.

My heart pounded against my chest and I felt my whole body pulse as I tried to hide my excitement. I had to get out of this room. I looked at the class clock and thankfully we only had five more minutes to go.

I stared at the clock impatiently until the end of class bell rang. The excitement I had been containing turned into fear. What if he'd decided he had no more feelings for me? What if he had a girlfriend? Or worse, what if I was just a conquest to him?

Snap out of it Brie this is not the time for paranoia.

I turned to where he was seated to see if he was just as nervous as I was but he was gone. Harry caught me looking and told me he'd left immediately after the teacher had.

"So are you going for your little rendezvous?" she teased.

"It's not a rendezvous," I said irritably.

"Whatever it is, it's so cute. You have to promise you will tell me everything you guys talk about," she said.

I took a deep breath to calm myself.

"I promise, now wish me luck," I said.

"Brie you will be fine, he likes you. OK just relax, now go," she said pushing me towards the door.