Chapter 17

"Hey Ella, have you seen Ven?

"Ven doesn't sit with me anymore, she sits with Josh. "

"Is she OK? "

"Would you be OK if you were her?  She is dealing with something hard, just give her some time. "

"Is it true though?" The thing about Joy? "

"Yeah.  Josh and her are dating."

She is distracted, I wonder what's up with her?

"How are you? "

"I'm fine."

She is lying, look at her. She is hurting about something.

Should we ask?

If you don't who will.

"I know but I mean how are you really? I get that we are not that close but you don't look fine. You look really sad. "

"Me and Jose broke up."
She looked down at her hands and took a deep breath.

"I'm so sorry.  What happened? "

She looked so delicate, even more than usual. She looked up at me, her eyes filled with tears that were ready to fall at any moment. It was heartbreaking.

"You still love him. " I wasn't asking her, I was only reading her emotion.

"Yeah I do but it doesn't matter now. It was not working out for him and so he ended it. "

Oh.

"I'm so sorry. "

What do you tell people when they are dealing with a breakup?

"Don't worry,he or she was no good for you, you deserve better."

Nah.

What do you really tell them that actually makes them feel better? Something that makes the pain go away.

It probably doesn't exist.
You're going to fix her aren't you?
Haha don't you know me so well.

"You know I was so excited to see him during the holiday. I'd missed him so much and when I finally got to see him, he said that it was better if we just became friends."

"But why all of a sudden? "

Why do guys do that?  When you think everything is going so well, they end it just like that.

"I think he is seeing an older girl. You know when I was in my previous school, he wanted to leave the country and he didn't want to tell me about it.  Everyone knew except me. "

"Did he tell you eventually? "

"No. I went back to school and he'd already left. "

"Without saying goodbye? "

"Without saying goodbye."

She took a moment of silence to compose herself,probably to stop herself from crying.

"I had a friend in his class and she checked on me whenever she could to make sure I was OK. She always told me to ignore the gossip and not pay attention to what people said about me. You know some people were happy that he'd left me. It was so hard. "

"I know how mean people can be."

"I was younger than them and they hated that he'd gotten a girlfriend from a lower class and had skipped them."

She didn't look so upset anymore, she was lost in her memories and I was relieved she wasn't sad anymore.

"That was mean.  He should have at least told you. It was like he was running away from you. "

"Haha yeah but I got over it. It's not like I could have stopped him anyway. "

She looked at me and beamed.

"So the day when he got back I was in the dorm sleeping.  A friend came running, she shook me awake and after catching her breath told me Jose was back.
Brie I was so excited! I showered and made sure I looked good before I went out to meet him."

"Haha to show him what he'd left behind."

"Haha I was just so happy he was back even the anger I'd felt for him wasn't there anymore. It was so nice to see him. "

The thing I loved most about Ella was her animated gestures when she was talking about something. It was sort of like the actual movie experience.

I love talking to people just as much as I love reading about them in the novels,talking to them in person especially. The way emotions that play out on their faces and their reactions, the different smiles they wear for the different feelings. The way their eyes changed every time they felt something different. I even loved the goofy faces.

Maybe that's it, the best way to fix someone is to let them go on and on about their best moments. Maybe.

"And the guys that were not happy for you? "

She grinned and looked at me triumphantly.

"Ah those were just haters. I ignored them, I had him and that is all I wanted. I felt so big haha."

"Haha I know the feeling."

She sighed. "I really loved that boy Brie. "

"Careful, you just used past tense."

"Haha because we are not together anymore and I have to get over it."

"I'm really sorry love.  For what it's worth, it gets better with time. "
                         ***

"Hey Ven, how are you? "

"I'm OK just thinking."

"Thinking about what? "

"About cupid."

She had been avoiding all of us, probably because we reminded of all that was wrong with Josh and she still wanted to believe it was OK.

"What about cupid?"

"You know cupid mends people's hearts and makes them feel the most stupid, hopeless and yet beautiful feeling in the world that makes thousands of people want to cry or laugh or resort to all sorts of stupid things like drugs and alcohol just so that they can convince themselves that they are OK or so they can drown the pain. "

"That's a little too dark for cupid."

"Yeah but I just thought. But what happens to him?"

"What do you mean what happens to him? "

"I believe cupid is a man which means he should be able to feel. When he is hurting, does he stay numb or does he go out or does he confess his feelings to some supernatural being out there and get broken or does he just sit there and do nothing? "

"I don't know I never really thought about it.  But maybe he feels better when he gives people the gift of finding someone to love who loves them back."

"Yeah maybe. I'd like to ask him myself though. I wrote a letter to him, do you want to read it? "

"Yeah let me see it. "

Ven's letter to cupid.

Heyo,
Tsup, Ummm I don't know what to write to you about but I'd love to ask you what inspired you to do what you do, to be lovey dovey?

Is it you that causes love at first sight or is it a myth like every fool believes it to be.

Love, Ven.