Truth or Dare: Chapter 42

Start from the beginning

“Actually I can’t,”  she said apologetically.  “Our entire family has a meeting with another family about something to do with the company or whatever that Mom owns.”

“Arranged marriages, I see,”  I said teasingly, trying to hide the disappointment from my voice. 

“Ah yes, how did you guess?”  she said with sarcasm layered in her voice.

“I guessed.”  I shrugged my shoulders despite the fact that she couldn’t see me.  “You know how old fashioned our parents get.  Arranging marriages here and there.  How’s Aiden dealing with it?”

“Oh him?”  she said nonchalantly.  “I’ve heard that he’s disappeared or something.  I think something along the lines of depression…”

“Chez!”

“What?”  she asked alarmed.

“You are horrible,”  I laughed.

“I’m only telling you the truth,”  she joined in.  “Anyways, I was going to say that maybe we can hang out some other time in the future.  Like…tomorrow?”

“That’s really far in the future,”  I said sarcastically.  “But yea, that works.  We can go see a movie or--”

“Wait, isn’t tomorrow the fourth of July?”

I blinked several times before turning towards my calendar.  Staring blankly at it for several long moments, my brain tried to process the fact that summer vacation was already a third gone.  

“Kylie?”  Chez’s voice came out worriedly.

“Uh yea, you’re right,”  I said hastily.  “Do you have plans or something on that day?”

“No, surprisingly.  You should bring your family over or something and we can set off fireworks together,”  she invited.

I broke into a large grin.  “Great!  I’ll ask my parents about that.  You should invited Aiden and Dustin too.”

“Yea and also--” 

Suddenly, the line was cut off by a muffled yell, and I stood stock still for several moments, wishing to see what was happening.  Unfortunately, all I could do was imagine what was going on which truthfully, it sounded as if someone was fighting for the phone.  Several long minutes passed before the noise level died down with a yell that probably came from Mr. White.

“Kylie!”  shouted a voice that most definitely did not sound like Chez.  “It’s Blake.  How are you, kid?”

“Hey Blake,”  I said pretending to act completely bored by keeping my voice monotone.  “Can I talk to Chez now?”

“Chez is too busy making out with Aid--ow!”  he winced in pain as soon as I heard a distinct slapping noise and a stern voice reprimanding him.  “I take that back.  She’s giving Aiden a lap--ow!”

I laughed openly before slapping a hand over my own mouth to cover up the noise.  “Oh jeez,”  I chortled, “you go Chez.”

“Hey,”  he said hurtfully, “don’t edge this kid on.  You know immature they get.”

“You’re one to talk,”  I said dryly.

“Me immature?  Never,”  he said with complete innocence.

“Somehow I doubt that.”

“The thing is--”

“What do you want Blake?”  I cut him off.

“Fine, don’t let me finish.  I won’t tell you what I want then.”

“Okay,”  I said cheerfully, “bye!”  Without a moment of hesitation, I hung up on him and I threw my phone onto my bed, smiling largely at the conversation and feeling slightly better that I had something to look forward to besides the internet.  I felt nearly confident that he would call back, if not right away.  Then again, I mused to myself, his ego might prevent that.