Chapter 35 - Final Chapter

Chapter 35

Blake uncovers my eyes. The penthouse suite's living room has been transformed into a romantic eatery for two. A small buffet cart sits beside the table set up next to the grand window. I walk over to it with a growing flutter deep within my stomach.

A bottle of chilled champagne rests inside an ice bucket, and a single rose lays across my plate. Blake moves behind me, sliding his hands around my waist. He rests his chin on my shoulder, kissing the nape of my neck.

"What do you think?" he whispers.

"What's all this for?"

"I selected a date that represents two things," he murmurs. "So you can choose whichever you like better."

I smirk, waiting for him to continue.

"One, this can be a congratulations dinner of all the hard work you've put in the last few weeks. The new store is well on its way, and its start-up wouldn't have been a success without you."

I think back over all the meetings and interviews Blake crammed into our days. Sometimes the meetings felt unbearable, but truthfully, I wouldn't have it any other way. Each day spent here, in Florida, was one more day that I got to be beside Blake – working beside him during the day, and sleeping beside him at night.

And don't even get me started on the sex. It started out as painful and uncomfortable, with the promise of pleasure just around the corner. Now the pain has subsided, and what is left is ecstasy. Plain and simple.

Come to think of it, all  my time spent with him is pure ecstasy. It's not like I've had a shitty life up until this point, because I haven't. There's been plenty of good memories and great people that have come into my life before him. Still, my memories of the past don't compare to now.

I have never been this happy – in my entire life. And it's all thanks to him.

So you can imagine my disappointment when he informed me a few days ago that our work here is pretty much done. In a few days we'll be packing up our belongings and heading home. It's not that I don't want to go home, either. It's just the irrational fear that things might be different when we leave this haven. Perhaps the thought of being without him every night is starting to settle in, too.

My shoulders slump just thinking about, so I clear my throat and push the thoughts away.

"What's the other option?"

"Ah, the other option," Blake says, kissing my earlobe. "Is to celebrate our one-month anniversary."

A blush creeps onto my cheeks. It's been a month already. It feels like it went by overnight, while at the same time feeling like we've been together far longer. I elbow Blake from behind me, and he laughs lightly into my ear.

"You're so gay," I say and roll my eyes, hiding my secret joy that he remembered.

"That I am," he agrees proudly. "And only for you."

The playful confession makes my chest tighten with undiluted happiness. Blake hugs me tighter to him and lowers his voice.

"So what'll it be?"

I wiggle out of his hold, picking up the rose on my plate and twirling it like a drum stick. "I'll save my final opinion until after the night plays out. Gotta' keep my options open."

This time it's Blake who rolls his eyes, a trait he very quickly has picked up from me. He shakes his head and nods for me to take a seat. He used to always pull my chair out for me, but after realizing how feminine it made me feel, he's slowly letting up. Key word on slowly.