Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A full four weeks have passed since I agreed to work as Mr. Blake Benson's personal bitch. So far my job duties have included everything from making copies of informational packets, to taking all of Blake's phone calls, and yes – to even running out to get Blake lunch...which I'm currently in the process of doing.

For the third day in a row.

"Welcome to Cardy's, how can I help you?"

I lean closer to the drive-thru speaker and reiterate Blake's lunch order which I now have memorized.

"Ah, yea. I'll take a tuna sandwich on wheat, hold the relish, with a pickle on the side, a diet coke and a chocolate chip cookie."

"That'll be $9.84 at the next window. Thank you!"

I pull a ten dollar bill out of my back pocket. Believe it or not, I can actually get a whiff of Blake's musky cologne as I hand it over to the worker. She smiles at me warmly. Her eyes light up in recognition when she hands me the change.

"You sure like our tuna sandwiches, huh?" she asks with a wry grin.

"It's not for me," I respond coldly.

"Oh...sorry."

The girl blushes at my verbal rejection and closes the window. I tap my fingers against the steering wheel irritably. The first four weeks working for Blake wasn't terrible. In fact, for the most part he left me alone. I was able to get my work done with minimal interaction and disturbance.

This fifth week, however, has been hell. Every day my job duties seem less about being an employee and more about being Blake's personal lackey. My knuckles turn white as I clench the steering wheel, just in time for the drive-thru window to pop open.

"Thanks and have a great day!" she says to me, handing the bag over.

Her voice isn't nearly as chipper as it was the last time she spoke to me. I snatch the bag out of her hand and throw it into the passenger seat. My tires screech as I pull out of the drive-thru lane and head back to work.

A piece of me wants to jizz all over his tuna sandwich. And when I say a piece, I mean 95% of me. If it wasn't for the fact that I was now making a pretty sick salary, I would too. My car whips into the work parking lot. I purposely park in the middle of two parking spots.

When I jog back into work, I notice Kansas eyeing me from her register. I'm sure she's curious why I've been taken off the floor. I'm sure she's even more curious why I'm in Blake's office all the time. He hasn't told the other staff members that I've taken a new position within the company. So I haven't either.

I ignore her probing stare, keeping my focus straight ahead while I make my way to Blake's office. His door is left open just a hair. I push it open without knocking and plop into one of the chairs in front of his desk.

"...yes, that'll be fine, Luke," Blake says into his cell phone. "Actually, hold on a minute."

Blake lowers his phone, covering the receiver with his other hand.

"Callum, do you have pressing plans over the next three days?"

I mentally think through the various party invitations that have been given to me. Of course I have plans. Is this dude serious? There's not a single night that goes by where I don't.

"Yea, I do."

"Do any of them consist of family plans, weddings, and/or graduations?"

"No..."