Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Blake and I step through the doors of Francisco's, and I can feel an envious hush fall over the tables surrounding us. Blake is a good-looking dude and so am I. The pair of us together, though? It's almost too much hotness to handle.

Ha.

I can't contain the smug grin slipping onto my lips watching multiple men eye me up and down. A few months ago, if a dude had eyed me like this, I would have been inclined to punch him in the face. Hard. Now, in the safety of the bar's walls, it doesn't bother me one bit.

In fact, it's flattering.

Blake seems to notice the unrelenting attention, and his hold tightens around my waist. He leans down to my ear, whispering close enough for his lips to brush against my earlobe.

"You seem to have the floor, Callum. All eyes are on you."

He presses a soft kiss to my temple and guides us to the bar. Every chair but one is filled, and Blake urges me to take a seat. He stands behind me and leans forward, attempting to gain a bartender's attention to order a drink.

"Callum? Callum!"

The deep voice cuts through all the other noise. Cade pushes past the other bartenders, so distracted by my arrival that he bumps into one of his co-workers. A newly made drink splashes onto the bartender's shirt and spills onto the floor. He curses under his breath, studying the damage down his now-soaked shirt. Cade stops just long enough to pat his shoulder and whisper an apology before continuing forward.

His attire is as formal as ever – black dress pants and a white dress shirt finely pressed. His hair style has changed a bit since the last time I saw him. One side is buzzed with an intricate design, and the rest of the hair is brushed to the side. It gives him an edgier look, a great contrast to his softer facial features.

He's hot. Really hot.

His light eyes never break away from mine, and the excitement in their depths confirm all my growing suspicions over the past few weeks. He has feelings for me. My stomach tightens when Cade leans across the bar to pull me into his arms. It's an awkward hug, both of us reaching across a large, marble countertop to get to the other. But it's worth it.

"Fuck, it's good to see you," Cade says against my cheek.

He hugs me tighter. Blake's warm fingers curl around my hip, a silent statement that the hug has gone on long enough. I reluctantly maneuver out of Cade's embrace, the feel of his fingertips still lingering across my shoulders. Cade glances beside me, and his smile lessens when he notices my choice of company.

"And hello to you too," he says through a forced smile. "Blake, was it?"

Blake narrows his eyes. "In the flesh."

"Ah. Well, I'm sure the bar is glad to have your business again."

I suck my cheek into my mouth and bite down to keep from laughing. Cade is such a shit, and the polite insult isn't lost on my boss. Blake raises his chin and leans forward.

"Speaking of which, we'd like to order a few drinks. I'll take a martini. Dry. And my date would like a Jack and Coke."

Cade's smile vanishes. The self-assured victory response turns the tables once again. Cade backs up a step and studies the two of us. His eyes linger on Blake's arm which is now casually draped around my shoulders. Half of me wants to shove it off and punch him in the jaw. The other half wants him to pull me closer.

Confusion, hurt, and disappointment phase in and out of Cade's expression, but none of them stick. Instead he sets his lips in a challenging smile and gives a good-natured nod of consent.