Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Weeks pass.

My situation with Blake doesn't budge. I try to go about my days going as unnoticed as possible at work, and he goes about his days avoiding me at all costs. It's like I don't even work for him anymore. A few times he leaves tasks for me to do, but they're always given to me via email.

Never in person.

After hearing what happened between Blake and I, Cade told me to let it go. He advised me to move on and just 'do me' until Blake comes to his senses. Of course, he added in a comment (or fifty) about how if I really wanted to get away, I could always come down to visit him.

He'd find a few ways to clear my mind and distract me, he said.

I grin thinking of his never-ending flirtatious attitude. It's become pretty obvious over the past few weeks that Cade's feelings for me have moved beyond friendship. He hasn't told me, but I can tell. At least, I think I can.

It's hard to tell with dudes.

I would say it doesn't matter because I'm not gay....but I'm starting to think my interest towards men is going to stick.

The hum of florescent lights buzzes above my head in the break room. I slump in my chair, snapping the top of my pop can back and forth until it comes off. I glance down to check my phone and grin when I notice an unread text from Cade.

Cade: How's your day going?

My grin widens into a smile.

Me: Slow as fuck. But nothing new there.

Cade: Damn, sorry. You going out tonight?

My fingers hover above the keys. I think about the last few weekends. Cade encouraged me to try to get back into my old routine – going out and flirting the night away. Or fucking the night away. I was a pro at both, after all, before I met Blake.

The first few nights of going out felt freeing, to be honest. I enjoyed getting out of the house without Blake's scrutinizing gaze hovering close behind. But it's funny how fast that feeling of freedom turned into a pang of loneliness.

Me: Probably not. Kind of tired.

Cade: Wish you were closer.

Me: Why?

Cade: I plan on ordering a pizza tonight – half cheese, half onion and mushroom. I'll need help finishing it off. ;)

I flush at the fact he remembered the toppings I fought so hard to get the last time we shared a pizza together. The break room door swings open, and whatever response I am about to type to Cade becomes lost. Blake strides through the door, his navy suit crisp and professional as ever.

He glances at me, his dark eyes studying my sloppy appearance and settling on the phone still in my grasp. My chest squeezes at the sight of him. The break room door finally closes, and Blake walks over to the table.

"Good afternoon, Callum." He points to the empty chair across from me and nods. "May I?"

I nod and try to breathe.

Hearing his voice again makes my limbs turn to overcooked noodles. Fuck, I've tried so hard to forget about him the past few weeks. And this is all it takes – a look. One damn look and five simple words to dismiss any type of progress I've made since being with him in Florida.

Blake pulls out the chair and it scrapes across the tiled floor. He takes a seat, leaning back in his seat to adjust his tie. He's silent for a moment. I glance down at my pop can again, but I can feel his eyes are still on me.