Chapter 17

Chapter 17

His question surfaces my moment of intimacy with Francisco's best-looking bartender. It happened out of nowhere. I mean, didn't it? One moment I was ready to hop out of the car. The next I had Cade's warm lips pressed against mine.

I run a shaky hand through my hair and join Blake in staring out the window as I try to collect my thoughts.

A few people bustle across the street. The sound of muted car horns filter past the thick glass of the window. It reminds me of being in Cade's car, his hand running along my thigh, and his bright smile gleaming under the city lights. I shake the image from my mind, forcing my attention back to Blake's question.

Is  Cade a better kisser?

Fuck.

Why am answering this type of question anyway? I'm not gay.

"I wasn't paying attention," I answer.

I don't know how else to respond. It's the type of question a chick would ask me – minus the whole rugged, bad-ass type of vibe. It's embarrassing that it's now coming from a dude. It's even more embarrassing admitting that I kissed two men in the first place.

Technically, though, I didn't kiss them. They kissed me.

Yea. That's better.

Blake turns towards me, hands relaxed on his lean hips. His few inches of extra height seem to tower over me, and the hardness of his expression makes my stomach flip-flop.

"Well," he says. "I was paying attention. Now answer the question."

I rub at the back of my neck. Most people in this situation would want to get out of it as fast as possible. Hell, I thought I would too. But seeing Blake this pissed off...it's hot. I lick my lips, knowing what I say next is both the wrong and dishonest answer.

"Fine," I say. "Cade's better."

Blake's eyes flash with rage and...hurt?

"Is that so?" he whispers.

The challenge in his voice is almost palpable. A shiver steals down my spine. He takes a step towards me, closing the already short distance between us. My back is shoved against the living room window, the coolness of it passing through the light fabric of my shirt.

Blake looks down at me, his head tilting to the side. He studies my face. Our closeness doesn't seem to faze him in the slightest. My pulse begins racing and I try to steady my breathing. The city lights shine through the window, casting seductive shadows across Blake's features.

His masculine scent envelops me. Then he lowers his voice and I damn near whimper.

"No response?" Blake whispers. "Then let me refresh your memory."

I close my eyes, knowing what's going to happen before it does. Wanting it to happen before it does. Blake closes the remaining inches separating us and lowers his lips to mine.

It's electrifying.

He reaches for my hip, gripping me hard. The pressure of his fingertips sends a pulse of desire to my groin, causing me to twitch with desire. His other hand becomes tangled in my disheveled hair, holding me in place while his kiss devours me.

The trace of stubble lining his jaw rubs against my chin. The friction is a sensual contrast to his soft and demanding lips. Our kiss is rougher than it was with Cade.

And I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

I fight back a moan when Blake rubs against me. His hips brush against mine. Only this time, feeling his erection doesn't snap me out of the moment. It pushes it further. The familiar itch to touch him tickles the pads of my fingertips.